Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I match these sheets?

Hello,

I have two sheets that I am working from. The first one has client numbers
that I want to match with the client name from the second sheet. How would
that formula look?

Thanks,
Sara
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Given only the information you have posted, it cannot be done....neither by
Excel nor by any other method, UNLESS, both lists are exactly the same length
and in exactly the same order........if then, just copy and paste the list
from one sheet into the adjacent column of the other list.

If you actually do have more information on one or the other of the lists,
then the VLOOKUP formula may be employed.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Sara" wrote:

Hello,

I have two sheets that I am working from. The first one has client numbers
that I want to match with the client name from the second sheet. How would
that formula look?

Thanks,
Sara

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

If you have the client numbers on both sheets, then any other data on the
same row may be returned using the VLOOKUP method offered by
Roger..........try it, and if you still have difficulty, post back.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Sara" wrote:

Hello,

I have two sheets that I am working from. The first one has client numbers
that I want to match with the client name from the second sheet. How would
that formula look?

Thanks,
Sara

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry I am still having trouble. Sheet 1 has the following information:
A B

Sheet 2 has the following information:
A B C
Client ID Number Last Name
1 O 0001 Doe
2 R 0002 Downs
3 S 0003 Smith
4 B 0005 Barney

I want to find the last name for the numbers in column B on Sheet 1. They
are not always on the same row number.

Thanks,

"Sara" wrote:

Hello,

I have two sheets that I am working from. The first one has client numbers
that I want to match with the client name from the second sheet. How would
that formula look?

Thanks,
Sara

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Sara

Then modify the formula I give you to, enter in C1 of Sheet1
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet2!B:C,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP (B1,Sheet2!B:C,2,0))
Copy down as far as required.

--

Regards
Roger Govier

"Sara" wrote:

Hello,

I have two sheets that I am working from. The first one has client
numbers
that I want to match with the client name from the second sheet. How
would
that formula look?

Thanks,
Sara

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Sara

Assuming on Sheet 1, Client Number is in Column A, and in Sheet2, Client
Number is in Column A and Client Name is in Column B

On Sheet1, assuming row 1 is header information,
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP (A2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0))
Copy down as required.

Change ranges as required.

If the data in sheet2 is not set out with Number first and Name second, then
use

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$G:G,MATCH(A2,SHeet2!$C:$ C,0))),"",
INDEX(Sheet2!$G:G,MATCH(A2,SHeet2!$C:$C,0)))

This assumes Number is in Column G and Name in Column C
Change as appropriate.
--

Regards
Roger Govier