Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default programming excel 97 from .net 2003

can anyone point me in the direction of material that would relate to,

i'm trying to take some data from a dataview in vb.net 2003 and create an
excel file.
i've read thru the kbs at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301982/EN-US/ and
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q306022
and while they seem to work with my office 2003 installs, my dev machines
office 97 install throws several exceptions.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doesn't your first article say:

Note Microsoft Office 2003 includes Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs).
Microsoft Office XP does not include PIAs, but they can be downloaded. For
additional information about Office XP PIAs, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

It doesn't say anything about PIA's being available for xl2000 or xl97 or
any earlier version.

Tom Ogilvy

"gabe" wrote in message
can anyone point me in the direction of material that would relate to,

i'm trying to take some data from a dataview in vb.net 2003 and create an
excel file.
i've read thru the kbs at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301982/EN-US/ and
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q306022
and while they seem to work with my office 2003 installs, my dev machines
office 97 install throws several exceptions.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

are you indirectly saying this cant be done?
yes the article says that, then my Question is about material that Would
relate.
i understand that the code in the article doesnt work, i'm looking for
material that does.

"gabe" wrote in message
can anyone point me in the direction of material that would relate to,

i'm trying to take some data from a dataview in vb.net 2003 and create an
excel file.
i've read thru the kbs at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301982/EN-US/ and
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q306022
and while they seem to work with my office 2003 installs, my dev machines
office 97 install throws several exceptions.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"gabe" wrote in message
are you indirectly saying this cant be done?
yes the article says that, then my Question is about material that Would
relate.
i understand that the code in the article doesnt work, i'm looking for
material that does.

I think it is possible to create PIA's for Excl97. at the very least. I know
that David Thielen did so for an older version of MS Word. I think you
should try your luck at the microsoft.public.office.developer.com.add-ins
newsgroup.

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

fredrik, thank you i will try a crosspost to that site,
are there other methods of writing an excel file (with excel 97 istalled)
based on a grid of data from with .net aside from PIAs?

"Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote:

"gabe" wrote in message
are you indirectly saying this cant be done?
yes the article says that, then my Question is about material that Would
relate.
i understand that the code in the article doesnt work, i'm looking for
material that does.

I think it is possible to create PIA's for Excl97. at the very least. I know
that David Thielen did so for an older version of MS Word. I think you
should try your luck at the microsoft.public.office.developer.com.add-ins
newsgroup.

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you just want to write out a "grid of data", write a .csv file (just a
text file with elements separated by commas).

Alternately, you can probably do it with ADO.Net (at least you can with its
predecessor, ADO, I believe).

Tom Ogilvy

"Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote:

"gabe" wrote in message
are you indirectly saying this cant be done?
yes the article says that, then my Question is about material that

Would
relate.
i understand that the code in the article doesnt work, i'm looking for
material that does.

I think it is possible to create PIA's for Excl97. at the very least. I

know
that David Thielen did so for an older version of MS Word. I think you
should try your luck at the

microsoft.public.office.developer.com.add-ins
newsgroup.

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

na, csv is no good, the data may contain comma or tabs, really looking for a
grid of data written to an excel file - otherwise i would have writen one and
named it something.xls.