Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Run code remotely

Hello everyone. I have asked this question a few other times, but I am
extremely confident that I have done an extremely poor job of explaining
it!! So one more time, in really simple theoretical terms:

Workbook1 has a clickevent on it. If I press the click event, the code
sends a little bird down the hall and into the server room of our company.
In that room, the bird opens the excel file Workbook2, and runs a macro
called "Main".

Is this possible (other than buying an extremely intelligent bird)?? Thank
you!!

-Steph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steph,
It depends on quite a few things but Technically the answer (I suspect)
is yes, this is possible. Realistically tho' I would forget it!

OJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Workbook1 has a clickevent on it. If I press the click event, the code
sends a little bird down the hall and into the server room of our company.
In that room, the bird opens the excel file Workbook2, and runs a macro
called "Main".

Let's see if I can re-phase this in programming terms:
Workbook1 has a clickevent on it.In Workbook1 I have a macro or vba
procedure which is triggered by a Command button on Sheet1.

If I press the click event, the code
sends a little bird down the hall and into the server room of our
company...
When I click the Command Button I want the procedure to Open Workbook2
on the network server and run a procedure in Workbook2, called "Main"

Yes this is quite possible with something like:

Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
"H:\Documents and Settings\UserName\MyFolder\Workbook2.xls"
'adjust the path you you network
'then
'I think this is the code line you are looking for
Application.Run Workbook2 & "!Main"

"Steph" wrote:

Hello everyone. I have asked this question a few other times, but I am
extremely confident that I have done an extremely poor job of explaining
it!! So one more time, in really simple theoretical terms:

Workbook1 has a clickevent on it. If I press the click event, the code
sends a little bird down the hall and into the server room of our company.
In that room, the bird opens the excel file Workbook2, and runs a macro
called "Main".

Is this possible (other than buying an extremely intelligent bird)?? Thank
you!!

-Steph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That will still open the file on her computer.....from what Steph
writes it seems like she wants to open the file on another computer in
the server room by running code from her workstation....

Not quite as simple!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That is exactly what she wants, this question was answered yesterday. Like
you, I suggested doing it another way, that involved more process, less
automation.

--

HTH

RP

"OJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
That will still open the file on her computer.....from what Steph
writes it seems like she wants to open the file on another computer in
the server room by running code from her workstation....

Not quite as simple!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, that is not quite what she wants, she wants to run a piece of code
from one workstation, but for the code to execute on a server, thereby
freeing up the workstation. This is what she wrote then

A member of Sr Management executes a macro every so often (long story as to
why HE has to do it...just accept the fact that he does). Right now, the
code resides in the workbook that he opens and pushes a button. This code
does lots of stuff (opens other workbooks, etc) and takes a while to run.
And obviously, this is running on his machine.

Here is the scenario I would like:

He opens a "front-end" file that has a button. This button executes the
code on a server, NOT his machine. So he pushes the button, and then
immediately can close his workbook. Meanwhile, the code is running on a
server and not his machine.

As he does not even wait for the results, I felt process would be a better
solution.

--

HTH

RP

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
That is exactly what she wants, this question was answered yesterday. Like
you, I suggested doing it another way, that involved more process, less
automation.

--

HTH

RP

"OJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
That will still open the file on her computer.....from what Steph
writes it seems like she wants to open the file on another computer in
the server room by running code from her workstation....

Not quite as simple!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi everyone. Thaks for the feedback. How about this for a new process:

I have the Mgr's click event populate Sheet1!A1 of a shell file called
Shell.xls.
Bob, as you suggested - I create a scheduled job on the server that will
open Shell.xls, say every 30 minutes. The Open event will check Shell.xls
to see if Sheet1!A1 is populated. If it is, clear cell A1 and run the
procedu
Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
"H:\Documents and Settings\UserName\MyFolder\Workbook2.xls"
Application.Run Workbook2 & "!Main

If not, close Shell.xls and do nothing.

Thanks again for the feedback!
[...]

"OJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
That will still open the file on her computer.....from what Steph
writes it seems like she wants to open the file on another computer in
the server room by running code from her workstation....

Not quite as simple!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Steph,

I think that is a smart move :-).

Sometimes, automating is not worth the effort.

--

HTH

RP

"Steph" wrote in message
[...]