Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Referencing Combobox with other cells in a different worksheet??

Is it possible to create a combobox in excel that shows data from a worksheet
that has two columns?

Only the data in the first column shows, but when I transmit the data it
looks to find what the full meaning of that abbrevation is....example:

Worksheet data
LG Low Grade
HG High Grade

Combobox only shows: LG and HG

If I select HG and ask it to transmit the data to new worksheet, it will not
transmit HG, but it will transmit High Grade??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

you can use data validation and vlookup

dynamic range w/ header row (the source for C1)
=offset($A$2,0,0,counta($A:$A)-1,1)
without header row
=offset($A$2,0,0,counta($A:$A),1)

as the source from your list

then use vlookup
=vlookup($c$1,offset($A$2,0,0,counta($A:$A)-1,2),2,false)

hope that helps

"Adam" wrote:

Is it possible to create a combobox in excel that shows data from a worksheet
that has two columns?

Only the data in the first column shows, but when I transmit the data it
looks to find what the full meaning of that abbrevation is....example:

Worksheet data
LG Low Grade
HG High Grade

Combobox only shows: LG and HG

If I select HG and ask it to transmit the data to new worksheet, it will not
transmit HG, but it will transmit High Grade??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

do a search for "Offset" In Excel help

basically what the offset formula is doing is selecting a range, defined as
a starting point ($A$2), adjust 0 rows down, adjust 0 columns right,
counta($A:$A) rows long, and 1 column wide)
so if you have data in A2:A10 (and nowhere else in A), the function
=offset($A$2,0,0,counta($A:$A),1)
will give you the range A2:A10

now what you do is go to Data - Validation - change Allow to List
and input that formula
obviously changing $A$2 to the start point of your first column of data, and
$A:$A to the column letters of your data

and then using the vlookup formula,
=vlookup($c$1,offset($A$2,0,0,counta($A:$A)-1,2),2,false)
change $C$1 to the location of your data validation cell
and the offset arguments to be the same as the formula for validation, but
change the 1 to a 2 instead - as you want 2 columns wide for both your
'abbreviation' and your 'full explination' columns.

hope that helps