Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action

Hi,

I'm developing a class which for a given filepath has to open the MS Excel
and extend the context menu with a new item. When the item is clicked all it
has to do is to display a message box.
Everything works fine. But if the message box is not confirmed (closed by
the user) in a few seconds the "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for
another application to complete an OLE action" is fired by Excel.

I want the customer to take his time to read the text and confirm (or not)
the message box.

How to handle this?

Many thanks,
Mircea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Adding Application.DisplayAlerts = False before invoking the other instance
may help.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I'm developing a class which for a given filepath has to open the MS Excel
| and extend the context menu with a new item. When the item is clicked all
it
| has to do is to display a message box.
| Everything works fine. But if the message box is not confirmed (closed by
| the user) in a few seconds the "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for
| another application to complete an OLE action" is fired by Excel.
|
| I want the customer to take his time to read the text and confirm (or not)
| the message box.
|
| How to handle this?
|
| Many thanks,
| Mircea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks. It works.
Second problem. While the message box is displayed, it looks like that the
surface of Excel is stuck. That is, if I move the message box window the
surface of Excel gets dirty.

Any idea how to solve this?

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
Adding Application.DisplayAlerts = False before invoking the other

instance
may help.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I'm developing a class which for a given filepath has to open the MS

Excel
| and extend the context menu with a new item. When the item is clicked

all
it
| has to do is to display a message box.
| Everything works fine. But if the message box is not confirmed (closed

by
| the user) in a few seconds the "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for
| another application to complete an OLE action" is fired by Excel.
|
| I want the customer to take his time to read the text and confirm (or

not)
| the message box.
|
| How to handle this?
|
| Many thanks,
| Mircea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you got screenupdating turned off?

--

HTH

RP

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
Adding Application.DisplayAlerts = False before invoking the other

instance
may help.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I'm developing a class which for a given filepath has to open the MS

Excel
| and extend the context menu with a new item. When the item is clicked

all
it
| has to do is to display a message box.
| Everything works fine. But if the message box is not confirmed (closed

by
| the user) in a few seconds the "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for
| another application to complete an OLE action" is fired by Excel.
|
| I want the customer to take his time to read the text and confirm (or

not)
| the message box.
|
| How to handle this?
|
| Many thanks,
| Mircea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's turned on (as default).

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
Adding Application.DisplayAlerts = False before invoking the other

instance
may help.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I'm developing a class which for a given filepath has to open the MS

Excel
| and extend the context menu with a new item. When the item is

clicked
all
it
| has to do is to display a message box.
| Everything works fine. But if the message box is not confirmed

(closed
by
| the user) in a few seconds the "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting

for
| another application to complete an OLE action" is fired by Excel.
|
| I want the customer to take his time to read the text and confirm

(or
not)
| the message box.
|
| How to handle this?
|
| Many thanks,
| Mircea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know of a solution for this. It seems that Excel is locked up, not
redrawing, etc. until control returns to it.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| It's turned on (as default).
|
| "Bob Phillips" wrote in message
| Have you got screenupdating turned off?
|
| --
|
| HTH
|
| RP
| (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
|

| "Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| Thanks. It works.
| Second problem. While the message box is displayed, it looks like that
| the
| surface of Excel is stuck. That is, if I move the message box window
the
| surface of Excel gets dirty.
|
| Any idea how to solve this?
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote in message
| Adding Application.DisplayAlerts = False before invoking the other
| instance
| may help.
|
| --
| Jim Rech
| Excel MVP
| "Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| | Hi,
| |
| | I'm developing a class which for a given filepath has to open the
MS
| Excel
| | and extend the context menu with a new item. When the item is
| clicked
| all
| it
| | has to do is to display a message box.
| | Everything works fine. But if the message box is not confirmed
| (closed
| by
| | the user) in a few seconds the "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting
| for
| | another application to complete an OLE action" is fired by Excel.
| |
| | I want the customer to take his time to read the text and confirm
| (or
| not)
| | the message box.
| |
| | How to handle this?
| |
| | Many thanks,
| | Mircea
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Jim.

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
I don't know of a solution for this. It seems that Excel is locked up,

not
redrawing, etc. until control returns to it.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| It's turned on (as default).
|
| "Bob Phillips" wrote in message
| Have you got screenupdating turned off?
|
| --
|
| HTH
|
| RP
| (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
|

| "Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| Thanks. It works.
| Second problem. While the message box is displayed, it looks like

that
| the
| surface of Excel is stuck. That is, if I move the message box window
the
| surface of Excel gets dirty.
|
| Any idea how to solve this?
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote in message
| Adding Application.DisplayAlerts = False before invoking the other
| instance
| may help.
|
| --
| Jim Rech
| Excel MVP
| "Mircea Pleteriu" wrote in message
| | Hi,
| |
| | I'm developing a class which for a given filepath has to open

the
MS
| Excel
| | and extend the context menu with a new item. When the item is
| clicked
| all
| it
| | has to do is to display a message box.
| | Everything works fine. But if the message box is not confirmed
| (closed
| by
| | the user) in a few seconds the "Microsoft Office Excel is

waiting
| for
| | another application to complete an OLE action" is fired by

Excel.
| |
| | I want the customer to take his time to read the text and

confirm
| (or
| not)
| | the message box.
| |
| | How to handle this?
| |
| | Many thanks,
| | Mircea
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mircea, is that dialog box modal? Can you make it always-on-top instead?