Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Link drawing to cells value

Hi,

is there an addin that allow the user to link a property of a shape to
a cell value?

For example make visible on a sheet a "smile" shape if cell A4 is
1000.

I mean a sort of extended "auto format", able to change properties
of shapes instead of formatting of cells.

I know that it can be done by code but I wonder if there is a tool
that can do it by "attaching" these behaviours to native excel drawing
objects.

Anyway if such an add-in does not exist have you goa a suggestion
about the best architecture for this? Write an add-in using .Net?,
write simple code on standard Xl modules that "OnChange" of some cells
performs property editing of shapes?

Bye & tks in advance for your kind help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Luca,

I may be missing the point. I do that a lot. I'm wondering why you wouldn't
have all the desired shape alternatives (e.g. smily face, frowning face, face
being strangled by boss etc.) placed on the worksheet with their visible
properties set to False. The Worksheet_Change event would invoke code (using
Select Case ?) that loops through the shapes and makes visible the
appropriate one(s) and the others invisible. Seems too simple so I thought I
was missing something.

Re performing "property editing of shapes": You could create your own
Freeform drawings (Drawing toolbar). After creating each drawing I would
group the individual lines in order to preserve the drawing as a unit. Your
code could then ungroup the appropriate drawing(s) and make manipulations as
required and then regroup. This is a lot more complicated and it seems
unnecessary.

Regards,
Greg