Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Multiple instances of a workbook showing in Project Explorer

Hi all - I'm using Excel 2003/Windows XP.

It all seems to be working fine, but I notice that when I close the
workbook and reopen it, both its name and the name of the attendant
add-in which it references, appear *twice* in the Project Explorer.

Then if I close the file without exiting Excel, on the next reopening,
both the file and the add-in appear in the Explorer *three times*; but
if I close and exit Excel altogether, they both only appear once on
re-opening.

If I repeat the procedure of closing the file without exiting, it goes
on adding one in the Projcet Explorer.

Please can any one throw any light on this amazing behaviour. TIA
Charles
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Charles,

I can't answer your question, but as no one else has yet, perphaps provide a
few more details:

When you say reference - do you mean your file includes formulas with
functions contained in your addin, or, do you mean you have set a reference
in the VBE Tools references to the addin, or both.

By "Project Explorer" I assume you mean the Taskbar, and in Tools Options
View : Sow windows in Taskbar is ticked (doesn't explain your problem

though). I also assume you don't have multiple instances of Excel (see task
manager).

Regards,
Peter T

"Charles Jordan" wrote in message
om...
Hi all - I'm using Excel 2003/Windows XP.

It all seems to be working fine, but I notice that when I close the
workbook and reopen it, both its name and the name of the attendant
add-in which it references, appear *twice* in the Project Explorer.

Then if I close the file without exiting Excel, on the next reopening,
both the file and the add-in appear in the Explorer *three times*; but
if I close and exit Excel altogether, they both only appear once on
re-opening.

If I repeat the procedure of closing the file without exiting, it goes
on adding one in the Projcet Explorer.

Please can any one throw any light on this amazing behaviour. TIA
Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Peter T" <peter_t@discussions wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks Peter.

(1) The workbook "Chap1.xls" calls routines in an add-in named
"C1.xla".
(2) This add-in is invoked by the code: AddIns("C1").Installed = True
(3) After opening the Chap1.xls file *once*, the Project Explorer, in
the VBE, (invoked by CTRL + R) shows one instance of each of
"Chap1.xls" and "C1.xla"
(4) After closing "Chap1.xls", but not exiting Excel, and reopening
it, *two* instances of both the workbook and the add-in appear in the
Project Explorer, and to this add one each time we close and reopen !.

(4)Throughout, the Task Manager shows ONE instance of BOTH
"Chap1.xls", and "Economics - Chap1.xls" (the new caption for the main
worksheet, which our code assigns to it), and each of these instances
are shown in the Task manager window as "Running"; and this
combination stays unchanged on the second reopening.

Something very odd is happening ...
Thanks Charles
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Charles,

Have you tried adding code to check whether the C1 addin is already
installed before calling

AddIns("C1").Installed = True

?

If already installed then no need to install again.

This is a known bug in the Excel VBE - see towards the end of this
thread:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1ad c2288cae9

Regards,
Tim.

[...]

!.

(4)Throughout, the Task Manager shows ONE instance of BOTH
"Chap1.xls", and "Economics - Chap1.xls" (the new caption for the
main
worksheet, which our code assigns to it), and each of these
instances
are shown in the Task manager window as "Running"; and this
combination stays unchanged on the second reopening.

Something very odd is happening ...
Thanks Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tim Williams" <saxifrax@pacbell*dot*net wrote in message ...
Charles,

Have you tried adding code to check whether the C1 addin is already
installed before calling

AddIns("C1").Installed = True

?

If already installed then no need to install again.

This is a known bug in the Excel VBE - see towards the end of this
thread:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1ad c2288cae9

Regards,
Tim.

Tim - hi. ! I am sure that adding code to prevent repeat installs of
the add-in is a great idea. I will report back to the NG if for any
reason it seems not.

Regards

Charles