Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Multiple instances of Excel opening when using Windows Explorer

Start at the bottom of the post and read up. Any help is appreciated.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

No problem, cman. Hope someone at the Excel groups arrive at a solution!

Ramesh,
I start by manually selecting several file (.txt files) in Window Explorer.
I the chose 'Open With' Excel, with check box for 'always use this program'
checked. I do this to avoid the text file wizard and to have just the raw
data, unformatted. Only then do I open my macro which work on one file at a
time, closes it, then opens the next file (ActiveWindow.ActivateNext) with in
the window 'pane'.
Figured this was looking more like a Windows issue then Excel. That's why I
started my post here. Repair didn't help, also.
I try the Excel group, as you suggest. Thanks for all your attempts...can't
say you didn't try!
--
cman

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

Hi cman,

I can repro the problem by explicitly invoking excel.exe <filename.xls
using a shortcut
or Run command. Perhaps your macro is using the same method, or does it use
shellexecute
direct .xls file?
Other options that I can think of:

1. See if repairing Excel helps, in case of incorrect file association/missing DDE strings
2. Repost this question in Excel newsgroups,.

Ramesh,
Yes, it's unchecked. I have one icon on the Task bar but it has the number
3 in front of it (using my 3 file example below). When you select it, it
lists each file with its own respective instance of Excel.
--
cman

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

cmanssur,

Just to be su Did you uncheck the Windows in Taskbar check box in Excel?

Ramesh,
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, this still opens several instance of
Excel. There only displayed under one Excel label on the Task bar. What I'd
like to happen is if I selected 3 files Explorer, there'd be one instance of
Excel (one on the Task bar) with my 3 selected file visible in the 'Window'
pull-down list of Excel. This works on some workstations but not others. Is
there some switches used/not used when opening Excel maybe in the Windows
Registry file?
--
cman

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

Show multiple program buttons on the Windows Taskbar - Excel - Microsoft
Office Online:

When I open several files at once thru Windows Explorer, each file is opened
in a separate instance of Excel. I want all files in one instance of Excel;
i.e. all files should be visible from the Window pane of Excel. I have a
macro that opens each file separately (ActivateNext) and then closes each
file. This seems to be dependent on which work station around the office.
Some open one instance of Excel, some open several instances. How can I set
this up to only open one instance of Excel? I using Windows XP and Excel
2003.
--
cman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP