Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Calculating percentage throughout a column

Hello,

I am a novice Excel user trying to tackle the following problem - I
have a spreadsheet with about 1500 rows of prices all situated in one
column. I would like to apply a certain markup percentage to each item.
Is there a formula or some other technique I can use to apply this
arbitrary percent (say 20%) to the price column without having to do it
line by line?

Thanks,

Jonny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jonny,

Enter 0.20 in some empty cell and copy that. Then select the
cells you wish to change. Go to the Edit menu, choose Paste
Special, and use the Multiply option.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Memphis Slim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am a novice Excel user trying to tackle the following
problem - I
have a spreadsheet with about 1500 rows of prices all situated
in one
column. I would like to apply a certain markup percentage to
each item.
Is there a formula or some other technique I can use to apply
this
arbitrary percent (say 20%) to the price column without having
to do it
line by line?

Thanks,

Jonny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ben Ben is offline

I think he meant markup chip
in that case he would want to multiply by 1.20 not 0.20 otherwise he will
get a reduction in price.
ben

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ben Ben is offline

i only noticed cause all i see all day long are prices.

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Yeah, I missed that.

--

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chip & Ben,

Thank you so much. You saved me hours worth of work!!

Jonny