Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Newbie Problem

I'm sure this is an easy one for all the experts, but I'm just learning
this stuff and have racked my brains and can't figure out an easy
way....

On Sheet 1, Column B I have up to 200 names ("B1:B200"), many name
repeats.
also on sheet 1, Column E, I have earnings ("E1:E200") beside their
names

What I need to do is:

On Sheet 2: copy the individual names (just once) and add all their
earnings together for a total earned.

Thanks in advance for the help

Buddy :)

--
BuddyB
BuddyB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17694

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can go to Sheet2 in the upper left corner where you want the results,
then do data=Filter=Advanced filter. Excel may complain, but press on.
In the dialog, designate copy to a new location and select the upper left
corner for your output. then In the dialog designate Column B of sheet1
(alone) as the data source. You can leave criteria blank. In the lower
left corner of the dialog, select unique values. Now click OK. this should
give you a unique list. Let's assume it starts in C2. In D2 you can do

=Countif(Sheet1!B:B,C2,Sheet1!E:E)

then drag fill this down next to your column.

Tom Ogilvy

"BuddyB" wrote in message

I'm sure this is an easy one for all the experts, but I'm just learning
this stuff and have racked my brains and can't figure out an easy
way....

On Sheet 1, Column B I have up to 200 names ("B1:B200"), many name
repeats.
also on sheet 1, Column E, I have earnings ("E1:E200") beside their
names

What I need to do is:

On Sheet 2: copy the individual names (just once) and add all their
earnings together for a total earned.

Thanks in advance for the help

Buddy :)

--
BuddyB
BuddyB's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=345757

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Buddy

Unless there is a good reason to summarise the information on another sheet,
this sounds like a job for subtotals.

Open help and search for "Overview of subtotals in lists". It will explain
the concept far better than I could.
If you find yourself struggling or need to do it another way, just ask.

HTH
Steve