Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Stop prompt for password when Excel closes

This relates to Excel 2003 VBA

I would like to protect the code associated with a workbook by assigning a
password in the Project Properties dialog (Protection tab) to prevent users
viewing or changing the code. However, once I give it a password, when the
user closes the workbook, he is prompted for the password.

To try and isolate the problem, I've set up a simple spreadsheet,
FormTest.xls, which contains a single Show Form button that shows a form
(TestForm). The form has an OK button which hides the form. That's all.

I see the following behaviour €¦

1. Open the FormTest.xls spreadsheet (enable macros if necessary)
2. Click the Show Form button
3. In the TestForm form that is displayed, press OK (the form is removed)
4. Close the workbook
5. Excel closes, but then €¦
6. A dialog appears asking for the FormTest password €“ WHY?

The only code is:
For the Show Form button on the worksheet:
Private Sub ShowFormButton_Click()
TestForm.Show
End Sub

For the TestForm form:
Private Sub OKButton_Click()
TestForm.Hide
End Sub

I have tried unloading the form when the workbook is closed but that seems
to have no effect.

If the code is not password protected, then it all works fine.

Any ideas??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Based on my test, I can not reproduce the problem.
To isolate the poblem, I think you may try to show a msgbox in the ShowForm
Button or even just debug.print "test" to see if the problem persists.
Also I think you may try to create a new workbook on another machine to see
if the problem persists. This will help us to know if the problem is
workbook specific or machine specific.

If you still have any concern please feel free to post here.

Best regards,

Perter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you use Google Desktop?

If you do, this was posted recently:

From: "Jeff" - Find messages by this author
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:07:50 -0800
Subject: VBAProject Password error window from Excel

A solution for at least some of the Google Desktop Search program and
associated VBE issues (the duplicate VBA projects in VBE) has been
found - perhaps that could help with this issue, too - check this post
I started at Experts Exchange (solution excerpted below):

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl...Excel/Q_211917...

"You are not going to believe this one (I didn't anyway).

The culprit is the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\ Addins\Office.Desktop.Google.com\LoadBehavior
It was set to 3. I set it to 2 and all is well.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That does seem to be the problem, thanks. I *have* recently installed Google
Desktop. When I changed the value of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\ Addins\Office.Desktop.Google.com to 2 the problem goes away.

But ... does anyone know what the consequences of changing the value of this
key is?

From: "Jeff" - Find messages by this author
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:07:50 -0800

ZagrebMike wrote:

This relates to Excel 2003 VBA

I would like to protect the code associated with a workbook by assigning a
password in the Project Properties dialog (Protection tab) to prevent users
viewing or changing the code. However, once I give it a password, when the
user closes the workbook, he is prompted for the password.

To try and isolate the problem, I've set up a simple spreadsheet,
FormTest.xls, which contains a single Show Form button that shows a form
(TestForm). The form has an OK button which hides the form. That's all.

I see the following behaviour €¦

1. Open the FormTest.xls spreadsheet (enable macros if necessary)
2. Click the Show Form button
3. In the TestForm form that is displayed, press OK (the form is removed)
4. Close the workbook
5. Excel closes, but then €¦
6. A dialog appears asking for the FormTest password €€œ WHY?

The only code is:
For the Show Form button on the worksheet:
Private Sub ShowFormButton_Click()
TestForm.Show
End Sub

For the TestForm form:
Private Sub OKButton_Click()
TestForm.Hide
End Sub

I have tried unloading the form when the workbook is closed but that seems
to have no effect.

If the code is not password protected, then it all works fine.

Any ideas??

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It makes the Google COM add-in "available but not loaded". The COM add-in
handling UI is not visible by default in Excel but if you want to see it,
you have to customize your commandbars like this:

-View, Toolbars, Customize
-Click the Commands tab
-Click Tools in the Categories list
-In the Commands list find "COM Add-ins" about half way down
-Click on it and then Drag it up to the Tools menu.
-When the Tools menu opens (automatically) continue dragging
down to below "Add-ins" and release. (At least that's where I put it).
-Close the Customize dialog

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"ZagrebMike" wrote in message
| That does seem to be the problem, thanks. I *have* recently installed
Google
| Desktop. When I changed the value of

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\ Addins\Office.Desktop.Google.com
to 2 the problem goes away.

| But ... does anyone know what the consequences of changing the value of
this
| key is?
|
| "Dave Peterson" wrote:
|
| Do you use Google Desktop?
|
| If you do, this was posted recently:
|
| From: "Jeff" - Find messages by this
author
| Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:07:50 -0800
| Subject: VBAProject Password error window from Excel
|

| A solution for at least some of the Google Desktop Search program and
| associated VBE issues (the duplicate VBA projects in VBE) has been
| found - perhaps that could help with this issue, too - check this post
| I started at Experts Exchange (solution excerpted below):
|

| http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl...Excel/Q_211917...
|
| "You are not going to believe this one (I didn't anyway).
|
| The culprit is the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\ Addins\Office.Desktop.Google.com\LoadBehavior
| It was set to 3. I set it to 2 and all is well.
|
| ZagrebMike wrote:
|
| This relates to Excel 2003 VBA
|
| I would like to protect the code associated with a workbook by
assigning a
| password in the Project Properties dialog (Protection tab) to prevent
users
| viewing or changing the code. However, once I give it a password,
when the
| user closes the workbook, he is prompted for the password.
|
| To try and isolate the problem, I've set up a simple spreadsheet,
| FormTest.xls, which contains a single Show Form button that shows a
form
| (TestForm). The form has an OK button which hides the form. That's
all.

| I see the following behaviour ?¦
|
| 1. Open the FormTest.xls spreadsheet (enable macros if necessary)
| 2. Click the Show Form button
| 3. In the TestForm form that is displayed, press OK (the form is
removed)
| 4. Close the workbook
| 5. Excel closes, but then ?¦
| 6. A dialog appears asking for the FormTest password ?" WHY?
|
| The only code is:
| For the Show Form button on the worksheet:
| Private Sub ShowFormButton_Click()
| TestForm.Show
| End Sub
|
| For the TestForm form:
| Private Sub OKButton_Click()
| TestForm.Hide
| End Sub
|
| I have tried unloading the form when the workbook is closed but that
seems
| to have no effect.
|
| If the code is not password protected, then it all works fine.
|
| Any ideas??
|
| --
|
| Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Thanks for your reply and thanks for Dave's experience sharing in the
community.
As you said, it seems that the problem is machine specific, as I can not
reproduce the problem at my side with your attachment.
I assume Dave's suggestion has helped you to resolve the problem.
If you still have any concern, please feel free to post here.

Best regards,

Perter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,

I'm having the same "prompt for password" problem when i exit excel from a
custom addin.

I don't have google desktop installed.

Any other ideas?

Jeff Lefebvre