Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
BP BP is offline

Default Cannot edit workbooks saved to CD

Every time I save my workbooks to CD, they become read-only on the CD even
though thats not what I saved them as. I cannot change the status because it
says "access denied" when I attempt to change the file saved on CD. How can
I save my workbooks to CD so that I can edit and continue to work with them?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In my experience, all files written to CDROM (inlcuding rewritables) have
the read-only attribute set.

Excel sees this attribute and flags the workbook read-only.

You would have to copy the file to a writable device (such as C: drive)

"BP" wrote in message
Every time I save my workbooks to CD, they become read-only on the CD even
though thats not what I saved them as. I cannot change the status because
it
says "access denied" when I attempt to change the file saved on CD. How
can
I save my workbooks to CD so that I can edit and continue to work with
them?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
BP BP is offline

Thanks Rob for taking the time. As you can tell, I don't really know what
I'm doing. All I really need to know is how I can save the very large excel
file to a disk or CD or whatever so I can use it on other computers. What
kind of disk or CD do I need to save it so its functional? If you could walk
me through what I need to do like a 2 year old, i would greatly appreciate it.

"BP" wrote in message
Every time I save my workbooks to CD, they become read-only on the CD even
though thats not what I saved them as. I cannot change the status because
it
says "access denied" when I attempt to change the file saved on CD. How
can
I save my workbooks to CD so that I can edit and continue to work with
them?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi BP,

As per Rob, probably one cannot update or save in to CDROM/CDRW directly.
So first save it in to your C: drive (let's say desktop).
Then write the saved excel file in to your CDROM/CDRW etc.

Follow the above process each time you want to save/update your excel files
in to CDROM/CDRW
--
Thanks a lot,
Hari

"BP" wrote in message
Every time I save my workbooks to CD, they become read-only on the CD

even
though thats not what I saved them as. I cannot change the status

because
it
says "access denied" when I attempt to change the file saved on CD.

How
can
I save my workbooks to CD so that I can edit and continue to work with
them?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Think of the CD as merely a way to transport the file from your home hard
drive to your work hard drive. If you create the file at home on your hard
drive, then copy it to the CD. When you take the CD to work, copy it from
the CD to your work hard drive. Open the file copy on the hard drive to work
on it. After you are done at work, copy the changed file back to the CD to
take home.
Mike F