Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike Fogleman Mike Fogleman is offline

Default Cannot edit workbooks saved to CD

Think of the CD as merely a way to transport the file from your home hard
drive to your work hard drive. If you create the file at home on your hard
drive, then copy it to the CD. When you take the CD to work, copy it from
the CD to your work hard drive. Open the file copy on the hard drive to work
on it. After you are done at work, copy the changed file back to the CD to
take home.
Mike F
"BP" wrote in message
Thanks Rob for taking the time. As you can tell, I don't really know what
I'm doing. All I really need to know is how I can save the very large

excel
file to a disk or CD or whatever so I can use it on other computers. What
kind of disk or CD do I need to save it so its functional? If you could

walk
me through what I need to do like a 2 year old, i would greatly appreciate

it.

"Rob van Gelder" wrote:

In my experience, all files written to CDROM (inlcuding rewritables)

have
the read-only attribute set.

Excel sees this attribute and flags the workbook read-only.

You would have to copy the file to a writable device (such as C: drive)

"BP" wrote in message
Every time I save my workbooks to CD, they become read-only on the CD

even
though thats not what I saved them as. I cannot change the status

because
it
says "access denied" when I attempt to change the file saved on CD.

How
can
I save my workbooks to CD so that I can edit and continue to work with
them?