Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I force a browser based excel hyperlink to open a new windo

Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to a
website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel file contains
hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks, they try to open in the
same window, thereby shutting down the excel programme - how can I force the
hyperlink to open a new browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message ...
Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to a
website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel file contains
hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks, they try to open in the
same window, thereby shutting down the excel programme - how can I force the
hyperlink to open a new browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I force a browser based excel hyperlink to open a new w

Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and select
the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the link to see an
example market scan report you will have an excel file open. Within that
file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of those hyperlinks causes the excel
file to try to close. I need to find a way of making those hyperlinks open a
new window rather than try to close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message ...
Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to a
website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel file contains
hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks, they try to open in the
same window, thereby shutting down the excel programme - how can I force the
hyperlink to open a new browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sean

I think the only way is to save the file on your harddisk first
Then a single click on a link open a new window

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message ...
Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and select
the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the link to see an
example market scan report you will have an excel file open. Within that
file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of those hyperlinks causes the excel
file to try to close. I need to find a way of making those hyperlinks open a
new window rather than try to close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message ...
Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to a
website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel file contains
hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks, they try to open in the
same window, thereby shutting down the excel programme - how can I force the
hyperlink to open a new browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sean,

The only thing I can think of is to use the FollowHyperlink event to trap
the click on the hyperlink. To do this, however, would force the "enable
macros?" popup, which you may not want.

If you don't care about that, you can do as follows:

1) In cell B10, change the formula to =Z10.

2) Right-click B10 and select Hyperlink. Click the "Place in This Document"
button on the left, select Sheet1, and type B10 in the cell reference box.

3) Right-click the worksheet tab at the bottom of the screen and paste the
following into the resulting code pane:

Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
ThisWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:="http://bigcharts." & _
"marke****ch.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=" & _
UCase$(Target.Parent.Value), NewWindow:=True
End Sub

4) Follow steps 1-3 for each hyperlink.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

sq246 wrote:
Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and
select the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the
link to see an example market scan report you will have an excel file
open. Within that file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of those
hyperlinks causes the excel file to try to close. I need to find a
way of making those hyperlinks open a new window rather than try to
close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to
a website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel
file contains hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks,
they try to open in the same window, thereby shutting down the
excel programme - how can I force the hyperlink to open a new
browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron

It is vital that this works from the web server as part of the spreadsheet
updates every minute so saving to hard drive wouldn't be acceptable. There
must be some form of code that could be put in which would make the

"sq246" wrote:

Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and select
the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the link to see an
example market scan report you will have an excel file open. Within that
file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of those hyperlinks causes the excel
file to try to close. I need to find a way of making those hyperlinks open a
new window rather than try to close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message ...
Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to a
website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel file contains
hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks, they try to open in the
same window, thereby shutting down the excel programme - how can I force the
hyperlink to open a new browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sean

If you can edit the workbook you can try Jake's solution

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote:

Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and select
the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the link to see an
example market scan report you will have an excel file open. Within that
file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of those hyperlinks causes the excel
file to try to close. I need to find a way of making those hyperlinks open a
new window rather than try to close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message ...
Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to a
website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel file contains
hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks, they try to open in the
same window, thereby shutting down the excel programme - how can I force the
hyperlink to open a new browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sean,
It also on the user's browser and its settings.
I use Opera and this opens in an instance of Excel. Clicking a hyper link
opens the page in a new page of the Opera instance.

Not sure if this your desired behaviour.

NickHK

"sq246" wrote:

Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and

select
the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the link to

see an
example market scan report you will have an excel file open. Within

that
file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of those hyperlinks causes the

excel
file to try to close. I need to find a way of making those hyperlinks

open a
new window rather than try to close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message

Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to

website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel file

contains
hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks, they try to

open in the
same window, thereby shutting down the excel programme - how can I

force the
hyperlink to open a new browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jake

I tried what you suggested but it still tried to go to the link on the same
page thereby losing my excel!

Help!

Sean

sq246 wrote:
Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and
select the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the
link to see an example market scan report you will have an excel file
open. Within that file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of those
hyperlinks causes the excel file to try to close. I need to find a
way of making those hyperlinks open a new window rather than try to
close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to
a website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel
file contains hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks,
they try to open in the same window, thereby shutting down the
excel programme - how can I force the hyperlink to open a new
browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sean,

I don't know...it works for me. I modified the first hyperlink on the sheet
and uploaded it to my server. Give this a try:

http://longhead.com/temp/example.xls

If it works, you can do a save as and save it to your hard drive. Then you
can modify the other hyperlinks as explained below, and it should work. If
it doesn't work for you, I don't know what the problem would be.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

sq246 wrote:
Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and
select the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the
link to see an example market scan report you will have an excel
file open. Within that file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of
those hyperlinks causes the excel file to try to close. I need to
find a way of making those hyperlinks open a new window rather than
try to close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file
to a website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The
excel file contains hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the
hyperlinks, they try to open in the same window, thereby shutting
down the excel programme - how can I force the hyperlink to open
a new browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hmmmmm - it still tries to close my excel when I click on the hyperlink.
Maybe it is something to do with settings that I have on my browser?

Sean

sq246 wrote:
Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and
select the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the
link to see an example market scan report you will have an excel
file open. Within that file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of
those hyperlinks causes the excel file to try to close. I need to
find a way of making those hyperlinks open a new window rather than
try to close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click