Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Instance is not killed from clasic asp

We had developed many Excel Reports calling from asp. We had deployed all
Business components in com+ server which includes Server side office
automation code . After requesting the excel report from the browser, the
Excel instance is not getting killed. Due to this, after time we have been
fored to restart the server.

But the same code is working fine in our development environment.

I have temp. found a solution which will kill all excel instances every five
mts, but I would like to give stable solution for them.

please let me what could be the problem and which is the best way to solve
this.

Cheers

RameshMarimuthu
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello,

Have you reviewed this MS article?...
Info: Considerations For Server-Side Automation Of Office

Although, I wouldn't know an Active Server Page from an inactive one,
maybe the following will be of some help...
'-------------------------------------------------------------
'Jim Cone - May 2002
Here are some general guidelines to use when automating Excel...

1. Set a reference to the primary Excel objects used in your program.
Dim xlApp As Excel.Application
Dim WB As Excel.Workbook
Dim WS As Excel.Worksheet

Set xlApp = New Excel.Application
Set WB = xlApp.Workbooks.Add
Set WS = WB.Sheets(1)

Use the appropriate reference Every Time you make reference to a spreadsheet.
Do not use Range(xx) - use WS.Range(xx)
Cells should be WS.Cells(10, 20) or _
WS.Range(WS.Cells(10, 20), WS.Cells(20, 40))

2. Avoid the use of ActiveSheet, ActiveWorkbook, Selection etc.
Use your object references.

3. Avoid the use of the "With" construct.

4. Set all objects to Nothing in the proper order - child then parent.
Set WS = Nothing
WB.Close SaveChanges:=True 'your choice
Set WB = Nothing
xlApp.Quit
Set xlApp = Nothing

Violating any of these guidelines can leave "orphans" that still refer
to Excel and prevent the application from closing.
'------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"RameshMarimuthu" wrote in message
We had developed many Excel Reports calling from asp. We had deployed all
Business components in com+ server which includes Server side office
automation code . After requesting the excel report from the browser, the
Excel instance is not getting killed. Due to this, after time we have been
fored to restart the server.
But the same code is working fine in our development environment.
I have temp. found a solution which will kill all excel instances every five
mts, but I would like to give stable solution for them.
please let me what could be the problem and which is the best way to solve
this.
Cheers
RameshMarimuthu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming