Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel - New Instance

Everytime now that I Double-Click on an *.xls file (in my history) a new
instance of Excel (2003) Opens. xl2003 is still my Version of CHOICE even
though I have installed xl2007 and xl2010 (Bet) starter kit. How can I
correct this so that xl2003 remains as my DEFAULT Excel file, but an
additional INSTANCE DOES NOT OPEN?

TIA,

Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tools|Options|General|Uncheck "Ignore other applications"
(xl2003 menus)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
"C:\yourpathtoexcel2003\excel.exe" /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
"C:\yourpathtoexcel2003\excel.exe" /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave; But doing as you say has had no affect.
Now each time I double-click on a *.xls file still another
Instance Opens and even that file also, under tools, option,
General the "Ignore Other Applications" is CHECKED.

Other thoughts??

Jim

JMay wrote:

Everytime now that I Double-Click on an *.xls file (in my history) a new
instance of Excel (2003) Opens. xl2003 is still my Version of CHOICE even
though I have installed xl2007 and xl2010 (Bet) starter kit. How can I
correct this so that xl2003 remains as my DEFAULT Excel file, but an
additional INSTANCE DOES NOT OPEN?

TIA,

Jim

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not really.

Lots of people have used this and it's worked ok for them. (Some people do it
twice because they messed up the first time. Did you try it a second time?
<vbg)

JMay wrote:

Everytime now that I Double-Click on an *.xls file (in my history) a new
instance of Excel (2003) Opens. xl2003 is still my Version of CHOICE even
though I have installed xl2007 and xl2010 (Bet) starter kit. How can I
correct this so that xl2003 remains as my DEFAULT Excel file, but an
additional INSTANCE DOES NOT OPEN?

TIA,

Jim

--