Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Workbook_Open() will not run

Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob Bovey's code
cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jack, what version of excel are you using? If 2000 or above check tools
macro security and see if it is set to high or very high
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob Bovey's code
cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jack , it could also could be a sticking shift key, that will keep the
startup macro from running
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob Bovey's code
cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks.
I don't think that it is a sticky shift key, because I emailed the workbook
from work to home and it displays the same problem.
At home I am using Office XP Pro 2002 SP2
I think it is the same version at the office.
The other macros work OK, so in principle the security settings permit macro
execution (I get a warning message that it contains macros when I load the
file, and I choose to "enable macros").
Also, I tried putting the code into an Auto_Open() macro in a general module
and that seemed to run OK. It just won't work from Workbook_Open() in the
ThisWorkbook module.

--

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob Bovey's code
cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jack, Don't know what you code looks like , may need to post the code and
see if somebody can see anything in it that could be causing this to happen,
maybe on error exit sub? What happens if you try a simple macro to test it,
like this
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
MsgBox "It Works!"

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob Bovey's
code cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks. Already thought of that, so I deleted all the code from the
Workbook_Open() except for a msgbox instruction - no dice. Put that one
line into Auto_Open() and it worked.

I wonder if it may be symptomatic of some workbook corruption and if it is
whether there is a quick way of filtering out corruptions of this nature.

--

"Paul B" wrote in message
Jack, what version of excel are you using? If 2000 or above check tools
macro security and see if it is set to high or very high
--
Paul B
Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from
it
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob Bovey's
code cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Copy-paste the code into a new blank workbook and see if it runs there.

Sure you don't have any misspellings in the macro name ? Since you refuse to
post the code then you must check that yourself.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Jack Sheet" skrev i melding

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob Bovey's
code cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Harald, thanks for the help

I did post the original code, under the header "UserInterfaceOnly on
startup" in this newsgroup. It did not elicit any responses.

I have since tried Paul's code precisely as below:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
MsgBox "It Works!"
End Sub

It would not run in the offending workbook.

I have tried your suggestion and copied the above into a new workbook, and
it does run in the new workbook.

I have also tried (in a general module)

Private Sub Auto_Open()
MsgBox "It Works!"
End Sub

And that works OK.

I have just one other macro in the ThisWorkbook code of the offending
workbook, and this seems to run OK when the workbook closes:

Dim Msg As String
Dim Ans As Long
If Not Me.Saved Then
Msg = "Leaving so soon? Oh, well, perhaps better save first?"
Ans = MsgBox(Msg, vbQuestion + vbYesNoCancel)
Select Case Ans
Case vbYes
' Call RefreshAllPivots
Me.Save
Case vbNo
Me.Saved = True
Case vbCancel
Cancel = True
Exit Sub
End Select 'Case Ans
End If 'Not Me.Saved
On Error Resume Next ' in case toolbar is not there
Application.CommandBars("Project Manager").Delete
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub 'Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)

--

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob Bovey's
code cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jack

I've also had the same problem intermittently. We are by no means alone as a
quick Google will reveal. But I have not seen cause/solution posted.

"Shift" has been mentioned but don't rule it out completely as a possibilty,
it can be the mysterious route of several unexplained problems and not at
all obvious.

I've not had a problem recently but I can't be totally confident of
Workbook_open. To the extent I now have a backup check in Auto_Open. My open
routine needs, amongst other things, to set a global variable. All "should"
be have been triggered from wb_open but I also have:

Auto_Open()
If myGlobalVar = 0 then Do_Open_Routine
'Do_Open_Routine is in a normal module
'that should have been done already

May seem like overkill but it's not much extra, just to be sure!

Regards,
Peter

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob

Bovey's
code cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A couple of possible solutions I posted recently both involved setting
the workbook to manual calculation. Full details can be found at
thread. (Search on "Workbook Open event does not fire".)

Peter T wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, sorry, didn't see that one. Does ANY workbook event run at the time? Try
this code for Auto_open:

Sub Auto_open()
MsgBox Application.EnableEvents
End Sub

if it returns False then something has disabled workbook and worksheet
events. Auto_Open is not part of the events, so that runs fine.

You do have a reply there now btw, and it's also a "it works fine here".
Maybe you have a corrupted file. Which can be just everything, there is no
reliable way to spot, isolate and remove a corruption. Copy-paste everything
piece by piece into a brand new workbook is the way to go if so. (Userforms
can be exported-imported, but test carefully afterwards.)

Best wishes Harald

"Jack Sheet" skrev i melding

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
Hi all

After a bit of testing I am satisfied that the macro
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
that resides behind "ThisWorkbook"
is not running at all when the workbook is opened.

Any ideas how I should try to fix this? I tried running Rob

Bovey's
code cleaner, and the project compiles ok without any errors.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It returns True.

No sweat I shall reconstruct. It would be nice if there were a one-click
utility out there to do that.

"Harald Staff" wrote in message
Ok, sorry, didn't see that one. Does ANY workbook event run at the time?

Try
this code for Auto_open:

Sub Auto_open()
MsgBox Application.EnableEvents
End Sub

if it returns False then something has disabled workbook and worksheet
events. Auto_Open is not part of the events, so that runs fine.

Workbook_Open () Bill Martin Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 12 December 20th 05 05:37 PM
Workbook_Open Jim Zeeb[_2_] Excel Programming 8 December 3rd 04 11:54 PM
workbook_open julio Excel Programming 4 September 26th 04 10:23 PM
Workbook_Open Eric Marple Excel Programming 3 May 10th 04 01:24 AM
Help with Workbook_Open Ruan[_3_] Excel Programming 7 April 28th 04 07:52 AM