Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default import files

How do I open a txt file that has 295000 rows? Presently it opens about
65000 of them. Don't know how to open the rows after 65000.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hollis,

Perhaps the following routine, posted by Berie Deitrick, would help:

Sub LargeFileImport()
' Bernie Deitrick
'Dimension Variables
Dim ResultStr As String
Dim FileName As String
Dim FileNum As Integer
Dim Counter As Double
'Ask User for File's Name
FileName = Application.GetOpenFilename
'Check for no entry
If FileName = "" Then End
'Get Next Available File Handle Number
FileNum = FreeFile()
'Open Text File For Input
Open FileName For Input As #FileNum
'Turn Screen Updating Off
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
'Create A New WorkBook With One Worksheet In It
Workbooks.Add Template:=xlWorksheet
'Set The Counter to 1
Counter = 1
'Loop Until the End Of File Is Reached
Do While Seek(FileNum) <= LOF(FileNum)
'Display Importing Row Number On Status Bar
Application.StatusBar = "Importing Row " & _
Counter & " of text file " & FileName
'Store One Line Of Text From File To Variable
Line Input #FileNum, ResultStr
'Store Variable Data Into Active Cell
If Left(ResultStr, 1) = "=" Then
ActiveCell.Value = "'" & ResultStr
Else
ActiveCell.Value = ResultStr
End If
'For xl95 change 65536 to 16384
If ActiveCell.Row = 65536 Then
'If On The Last Row Then Add A New Sheet
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Add
Else
'If Not The Last Row Then Go One Cell Down
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
End If
'Increment the Counter By 1
Counter = Counter + 1
'Start Again At Top Of 'Do While' Statement
Loop
'Close The Open Text File
Close
'Remove Message From Status Bar
Application.StatusBar = False
End Sub

---
Regards,
Norman

"Hollis" wrote in message
How do I open a txt file that has 295000 rows? Presently it opens about
65000 of them. Don't know how to open the rows after 65000.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hollis

Excel has 65536 rows to a worksheet so data has to be spread over more sheets
or columns on same sheet.

You could split the data into smaller chunks in your text file and bring over
these chunks.

OR.........Have a look through these google search results.

http://snipurl.com/ayv5

Many methods, one of which may suit.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP