Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sorting out ages

I am not to good at Excel, but here is my question

I have a field (i.e. say cell J6) with the birthdate (date field) of
person and I can calculate their age from that no problem.

I want to be able to calculate their school year. so someone who i
going to be 12 before the 1 September 2005 will be in year 7 at thi
time. Someone who is going to be 13 before 1 September 2005 will b
year 8 and so on.

For a year 7 their birhdate can be any time between the 1 Septembe
1992 and the 31 August 1993 and a year 8 birthdate can be between
September 1991 and 31 August 1992. I want to be able to have shown o
screen and in the printed form their school year and to be able to us
this field to sort them in to school year.

Does anyone have the right formula that I could use, I just cannot see
to be able to figure this one out.

Help would be appreciated

regards

Davi

--
David
DavidL's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1682

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You wnat to use the VLookup function. the form of it is

=Vlookup(A cell value, In a range of Cell Values, returning a column to the
right of that value that I have Found, Exact Match or Not)

So for what you want to do You need to have a list of the cut off dates for
the Grade that the student will be in similar to this

Jan 1, 1990 7
Jan 1, 1991 8
Jan 1, 1992 9

Your formula will look like this

=vlookup(sheet1!A1, sheet2!A1:B3, 2)

This will lookk up the value of cell a1 in the list in sheet a2 finding the
closest date that matches and retrun the value in the cell next to that
date...

Hope this helps...

"DavidL" wrote:

I am not to good at Excel, but here is my question

I have a field (i.e. say cell J6) with the birthdate (date field) of a
person and I can calculate their age from that no problem.

I want to be able to calculate their school year. so someone who is
going to be 12 before the 1 September 2005 will be in year 7 at this
time. Someone who is going to be 13 before 1 September 2005 will be
year 8 and so on.

For a year 7 their birhdate can be any time between the 1 September
1992 and the 31 August 1993 and a year 8 birthdate can be between 1
September 1991 and 31 August 1992. I want to be able to have shown on
screen and in the printed form their school year and to be able to use
this field to sort them in to school year.

Does anyone have the right formula that I could use, I just cannot seem

DavidL's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16824
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=320173