Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open workbook and Excel closes

Excel 2000, Windows 2000.

Earlier today I created a new workbook, added some data to it,
then saved and closed it.

Since then, every time I try to open the file.... it will open, but the
cursor forms an hourglass, loads of hard disk activity, then Excel
shuts down/closes after 20-30 seconds or so.

Is there anything I could try or check for, please?

Regards

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Stuart,

One thing you can try is hitting CTRL + PauseBreak button at the same time.

Do you have any Macros (VBA code) in any module ?

By hitting the CTRL + PauseBreak buttons it can break any code that might be
running then will display a MsgBox to End or Debug, Select END.

Maybe you could have a Macro Virus.

It's worth a try.

Jeff

"Stuart" wrote:

Excel 2000, Windows 2000.

Earlier today I created a new workbook, added some data to it,
then saved and closed it.

Since then, every time I try to open the file.... it will open, but the
cursor forms an hourglass, loads of hard disk activity, then Excel
shuts down/closes after 20-30 seconds or so.

Is there anything I could try or check for, please?

Regards

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the help, but Control+Break doesn't seem to work.

I think there must be code in that book (somehow of my making).

What about code that would remove any modules (including code
in that book's ThisWorkbook module?

But then to achieve that, wouldn't the workbook have to open?

Regards.

"Stuart" wrote:

Excel 2000, Windows 2000.

Earlier today I created a new workbook, added some data to it,
then saved and closed it.

Since then, every time I try to open the file.... it will open, but the
cursor forms an hourglass, loads of hard disk activity, then Excel
shuts down/closes after 20-30 seconds or so.

Is there anything I could try or check for, please?

Regards

---

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hold down the shift key while opening the workbook. (workbook_Open event
won't run)

or

Set you macro protection so you a prompted if you want to disable macros.

Tom Ogilvy

"Stuart" wrote:

Excel 2000, Windows 2000.

Earlier today I created a new workbook, added some data to it,
then saved and closed it.

Since then, every time I try to open the file.... it will open, but

the
cursor forms an hourglass, loads of hard disk activity, then Excel
shuts down/closes after 20-30 seconds or so.

Is there anything I could try or check for, please?

Regards

---

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the suggestions.
Shift key made no difference, so presumably no Open event code.

Macro security now set to high, but Excel still shuts down with no
warnings or messages.

Regards.

"Stuart" wrote:

Excel 2000, Windows 2000.

Earlier today I created a new workbook, added some data to it,
then saved and closed it.

Since then, every time I try to open the file.... it will open, but

the
cursor forms an hourglass, loads of hard disk activity, then Excel
shuts down/closes after 20-30 seconds or so.

Is there anything I could try or check for, please?

Regards

---

---

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chip Pearson has a bunch of techniques that deal with start up errors at:

A couple of guesses.

1. Clean up the windows temp folder. (then test it out)

2. sometimes the file that holds the customized toolbar settings gets hosed.
close excel
windows start button|Find (or search)
search for *.xlb
rename them to *.xlbOLD
restart excel

if it worked, delete the *.xlbOLD files and rebuild any customized toolbars.

If it didn't, rename them back to *.xlb---and read Chip's notes carefully!

Stuart wrote:

Excel 2000, Windows 2000.

Earlier today I created a new workbook, added some data to it,
then saved and closed it.

Since then, every time I try to open the file.... it will open, but the
cursor forms an hourglass, loads of hard disk activity, then Excel
shuts down/closes after 20-30 seconds or so.

Is there anything I could try or check for, please?

Regards

---

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Managed to open it in Word, following the link via Chip's
site.
Thanks for your help.

Regards.