Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Labeling plots!

Hi all:

Thanks for the mail, David.
Consider the following example for a X-Y scatter plot.

X Y

5 25
100 25
800 25
5000 25
10000 25

We should get a straight line parallel to X axis. But these data wer
captured say at a stress level of s= 300. So right above/below th
straight line we get, I would like to show 'stress=300', so that en
user will know what stress the plot corresponds to.

Hope this helps.
Best regds,

Arun

--
aiye
aiyer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=607

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why not rename the series (found under "Source Data", Series tab) as "Stess =
300", and then display/show the legend (found under "Chart Options", Legend
tab).
The legend can be moved anywhere on the plot.

Or if you only have series on the plot, why not put Stess Level as part of
the title.
Your Chart Title (@ stress = 300)

"aiyer" wrote:

Hi all:

Thanks for the mail, David.
Consider the following example for a X-Y scatter plot.

X Y

5 25
100 25
800 25
5000 25
10000 25

We should get a straight line parallel to X axis. But these data were
captured say at a stress level of s= 300. So right above/below the
straight line we get, I would like to show 'stress=300', so that end
user will know what stress the plot corresponds to.

Hope this helps.
Best regds,

Arun.

--
aiyer
aiyer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6070
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=320119

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hey.
thanks..but sorry, legend options won't work..there r multiple suc
straight lines at diff: stress levels in same graph.. so it would b
nice to include a label right above/below each such line in the plot.

Is this possible?
Arun

--
aiye
aiyer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=607
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=32011

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Arun,
The data is fairly easy to "plot" or graph, but the data does not indicate a
"stress" level. I only know that information because you told me the
information. That information can be included as a title, but it is manually
entered, since it is not part of the derived data. Not sure if that helps of
not. A title is part of the "chart options", but it only has a limited number
of choices on placement.

"aiyer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm assuming then that the fact that each series would be a different color &
different symbol (which would help when it's printed in black & white) isn't
good enough?

Well, then the easiest way would be just add a "Text Box" and place it near
each line. I don't know if it's possible any other way, but this will get
the job done.

"aiyer" wrote:

Hey.
thanks..but sorry, legend options won't work..there r multiple such
straight lines at diff: stress levels in same graph.. so it would be
nice to include a label right above/below each such line in the plot.

Is this possible?
Arun.

--
aiyer
aiyer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6070
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=320119

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks. Well, I understand all that David.
Let me reframe my question. Consider the following table.

At two seperate stress levels (200 and 400), we have values for X & Y
which we can easily plot as an X-Y scatter. Instead of showing th
stress levels in the legend with seperate symbols/colours and stuff, i
there a way we can show the stress level for each of the following X-
scatter just right above the respective scatter plots? I am trying t
reproduce a plot I refered to lately, where the stress levels
indicated right along/above each respective scatter plot.

Stress X Y

200 1 180
200 2 190
200 3 290
200 4 390
200 5 500

Stress X Y

400 6 580
400 7 690
400 8 790
400 9 890
400 10 980

This will be helpful especially when we have 10 different stress level
and X-Y values at each levels, all plotted in the same graph.

Hope it is clear.
Thanks.
Arun

--
aiye
aiyer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=607
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=32011

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Arun,
Try this and see it it gets closer to what you are looking for:
Data Layout:
x y
200 180
200 190
200 290
200 390
200 500
400 580
400 690
400 790
400 890
400 980
1) Select/highlight all of the above
2) Chart
3) Data range is the whole group
4) Series in columns
5) Finish
The chart I get shows two lines and where they depart from being a straight
line is easy to see, which is where s is located. I don't see a way to mark
where the line is no longer straight, but it is very easy to see. I hope this
will help.