Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Raj Raj is offline

Default Future of VBA in Excel

Hi,
With the advent of .net languages.. does anyone kanow what the plans are
form Microsoft is as far as the scripting language in Excel..
Is VBA going to be replaced??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The .net language is probably not going to replace VBA, but you neve
know...

--
Berend Botj
Berend Botje's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1015

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Berend Botje,

Exactly right! It would be a total waste of my carefully built
knowledge of the beautiful language VBA without which life would be
practically unbearable. With VBA, great things can be achieved by small
thinkers.
Doe ze de groeten in Zuidlaren,
ManualMan
http://www.gamesXL.tk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

First read
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/pr...ap.aspx#office

No mention of integrating NET from the Office VBIDE. VSTO 2005 will be
a separate component...no details given for VS "Orca" (Studio for
LongHorn platform).

VSTO2005 will probably my first serious effort into NET.

So there will be two roads for a while... and I think there will be for
many years to come. Microsoft may be aggressive marketeers, but that's
exactly why they'll think twice before alienating their "installed
base" of VBA coders.

But no doubt they wont be "maintaining" VBA, so you'll find that some
things cant be done in VBA.. and CAN be done in VSTO.

Now tell your clients to bin the lightweight xl97...

--
keepITcool

RAJ wrote :

Hi,
With the advent of .net languages.. does anyone kanow what the plans
are form Microsoft is as far as the scripting language in Excel..
Is VBA going to be replaced??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

VSTO hosts the .NET CLR, which can execute VB.NET. But then, in order to
replicate the VBA environment, you need a friendly access to the underlying
application SDK, through ThisDocument, and so on. I believe VSTO is supposed
to provide such thing. I hope it does by the way, otherwise it means that
everyone using VBA today and willing to reuse in in VSTO in some form or
fashion will have to :
1) convert the VBA code to VB.NET (or C#) using a converter. But then expect
a lot of work, and some limitations (ActiveX support, ...)
2) use the Office Interop libraries, which are cumbersome to use to say the
least.

Hope this helps,

xlsgen, native excel generator, http://www.excelgenerator.com