Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Tom is offline

Default personal.xls doesn't open when double-clicking on Excel file

Hi,

I want to make my macro accessible no matter what Excel file is open,
so I put it in the personal.xls file. That works fine if I open Excel
(double-clicking desktop icon, program files menu, etc.) then
File|Open the Excel documents. But if I double-click on an Excel file
to open it, personal.xls doesn't load and the macro isn't available.

Is that how it's supposed to work? Regardless, is there a way to make
personal.xls load in all cases that Excel is used? The macro is meant
for non-computer savvy people, so telling them to manually open
personal.xls is not an option.

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Put the file in the XLStart folder, typically C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart .

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Tom" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I want to make my macro accessible no matter what Excel file is
open,
so I put it in the personal.xls file. That works fine if I open
Excel
(double-clicking desktop icon, program files menu, etc.) then
File|Open the Excel documents. But if I double-click on an
Excel file
to open it, personal.xls doesn't load and the macro isn't
available.

Is that how it's supposed to work? Regardless, is there a way
to make
personal.xls load in all cases that Excel is used? The macro is
meant
for non-computer savvy people, so telling them to manually open
personal.xls is not an option.

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom,

.... and then back in Excel use Window, Hide file
to hide your personal.xls

"Chip Pearson" wrote

"Tom" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I want to make my macro accessible no matter what Excel file is
open,
so I put it in the personal.xls file. That works fine if I open
Excel
(double-clicking desktop icon, program files menu, etc.) then
File|Open the Excel documents. But if I double-click on an
Excel file
to open it, personal.xls doesn't load and the macro isn't
available.

Is that how it's supposed to work? Regardless, is there a way
to make
personal.xls load in all cases that Excel is used? The macro is
meant
for non-computer savvy people, so telling them to manually open
personal.xls is not an option.

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Tom is offline

Thanks for both replies, but I don't think I'm getting the problem
across properly. The personal.xls file is in the XLStart directory (we
actually specify a custom start directory, but it's the same
regardless) and hidden. When I open the Excel _application_ (running
the executable through a desktop icon or the start menu), personal.xls
comes up fine. I can then File|Open any file and use the macro on it.

The problem is when I don't run the Excel _application_, but
double-click on an XLS (or CSV, or anything associated with Excel)
_file_. It opens the file in Excel, but personal.xls doesn't load with
it and the macros are not available. The difference is how the file is
opened.

Example:
Double-click on Excel icon and File|Open C:\file.xls. Everything
works.
Double-click on C:\file.xls and it opens up in Excel. Personal.xls
doesn't load with it.

The difference may seem minor, but it's meant for people who only
understand how to double-click things on the desktop. They may not
understand Windows directory structures and can't be expected to know
how to use File|Open.

Thanks for any additional help.

Tom

"David McRitchie" wrote in message ...
Hi Tom,

... and then back in Excel use Window, Hide file
to hide your personal.xls

"Chip Pearson" wrote
Put the file in the XLStart folder, typically C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart .

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A complete guess....

Try reregistering excel.

[...]