aytekyildiz

Default can not open a xls file by double clicking

when i doubleclick an excel file excel opens but doesn't display my workbook
or any new workbook but if i open excel first and apply "file+open" workbooks
opens without any problem. i dont know what to do. reinstalled office xp pro,
repaired etc. problem still be.
Gord Dibben

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

One more thing to try if any of the above brings no joy.........

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit select "Open" and Edit.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:41:06 -0800, "aytekyildiz"
wrote:

when i doubleclick an excel file excel opens but doesn't display my workbook
or any new workbook but if i open excel first and apply "file+open" workbooks
opens without any problem. i dont know what to do. reinstalled office xp pro,
repaired etc. problem still be.

Jamie A Miller

I had the same problem. Open Excel and go to the Tools Menu and choose
Options. On the General tab, uncheck the box that says "Ignore other
application." This fixed my problem.

Jamie A Miller