Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Public string showing empty

Hello there,
I set this "myfilename" string to store the name of the file (input box) and
then re-name the sheets. Everything works fine, all functions work great
until I close the file. When I re-open "myfilename" is empty, although I
tried to store it in Cell "H3"

What can I do different to keep the value public and permanent once the name
of the file is entered?

Any kind of help apprecieated,
Gaba

Public myfilename As String

Function getmyfilename()
myfilename = InputBox("Please Enter Dataset File:")
Range("H3").Value = myfilename

End Function

--
gaba :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need to retrieve it when you open the workbook

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

myFilename = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("H3").Value

End Sub

and put it in the ThisWorkbook code module

--

HTH

RP

"gaba" wrote in message
Hello there,
I set this "myfilename" string to store the name of the file (input box)

and
then re-name the sheets. Everything works fine, all functions work great
until I close the file. When I re-open "myfilename" is empty, although I
tried to store it in Cell "H3"

What can I do different to keep the value public and permanent once the

name
of the file is entered?

Any kind of help apprecieated,
Gaba

Public myfilename As String

Function getmyfilename()
myfilename = InputBox("Please Enter Dataset File:")
Range("H3").Value = myfilename

End Function

--
gaba :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
of course. You have to read it again. maybe something like the
following in your workbook_open event of this file
option explicit
Public myfilename As String
sub workbook_open()
with me.worksheets("sheet1").range("H3")
if .value<"" then
myfilename = .value
else
myfilename = InputBox("Please Enter Dataset File:")
.value=myfilename
end if
end with
end sub