Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to hide a process in the background?

I posted this on some of the other forums, but no luck. Hoping that you
programming Guru's can help.

I have a spreadsheet that has a web query to a subscribed site. Before I
run the query, I have to go to Internet Explorer and log into the site.
After that I can run the query and extract the data, however now and
then I lose the login. I would like to have a function that logs me
into that site via Excel. I've tried:

=HYPERLINK("http://www.someplace.com/login.aspx?id=username&pw=123456","click
to login")

This works but a window opens in IE or if there's a window open, this
will execute in that window. I was wondering if there's a way to have
this execute in the background without it opening a window.

If set this up as a web query then it doesn't seem to work as that syntax
gets update and when I save the query it's a different location on the web
site.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I figured this out. Instead of using the Hyperlink function, I saved the
link to a web query and modified it to log me in. Don't know why I didn't
think of that before?

Sure would still be nice to know if you can run the hyperlink function and
not open a page in the browser.