Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hyperlink to existing files

I wish to create a hyperlink to existing image files on my harddisk. The name
of the image is to be the same as the row number.tif (eg. row 1 has a
hyperlink to 1.tif, row 2 has a hyperlink to 2.tif). I have thousands of
these to do and manually selecting hyperlinks to each file is a nightmare. Is
there any code here to help me?
Thanks
Steve..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

but I would need to do this for each image wouldn't I?
I need a way to automate the process of this. If the row is 2500 the code
automatically places the hyperlink to 2500.tif in the cell on row 2500.
I'm sure this is more simple than it sounds, but I cant for the life of me
figure it out!
Thanks

"?B?U3RldmU=?=" wrote:

I wish to create a hyperlink to existing image files on my harddisk.
The name of the image is to be the same as the row number.tif (eg. row
1 has a hyperlink to 1.tif, row 2 has a hyperlink to 2.tif). I have
thousands of these to do and manually selecting hyperlinks to each
file is a nightmare. Is there any code here to help me?
Thanks
Steve..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

assuming the file path is in cell E1
and looks like "d:\my documents\my pictures\"

then type in A1

=HYPERLINK(E1&ROW()&".tif")
and copy down...

(I get a warning message from office when I open a Tif hyperlink)
.whereas i doesnt pop on JPG...

to Change see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829072
How to disable hyperlink warning messages in Office 2003

keepITcool

"?B?U3RldmU=?=" wrote:

I wish to create a hyperlink to existing image files on my
harddisk. The name of the image is to be the same as the row
number.tif (eg. row 1 has a hyperlink to 1.tif, row 2 has a
hyperlink to 2.tif). I have thousands of these to do and manually
selecting hyperlinks to each file is a nightmare. Is there any code
here to help me? Thanks
Steve..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi again
Thanks for your help so far. Almost there.
I understand what you mean about assuming the filepath is in cell E1, but
that would still mean I would have to manually link each image to the
cells..I would have to link 1.tif to cell E1, 2.tif to cell E2...is there a
way that I dont need to put the file path in cell E1 and just have the link
in cell A1. In other words, could I change the formula which automatically
replaces cell A1 with 1.tif, cell A2 with 2.tif?
Thanks again

"?B?U3RldmU=?=" wrote:

I wish to create a hyperlink to existing image files on my
harddisk. The name of the image is to be the same as the row
number.tif (eg. row 1 has a hyperlink to 1.tif, row 2 has a
hyperlink to 2.tif). I have thousands of these to do and manually
selecting hyperlinks to each file is a nightmare. Is there any code
here to help me? Thanks
Steve..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try Keepitcool's formula with a minor change:

=HYPERLINK($E$1&ROW()&".tif")
and drag down as many rows as you need.

Make sure your path is in E1.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yep..
the effect of a $ in a cell reference...
oops!?

You'd assume people would know..
this IS the programming NG, not excel.newbie or worksheetfunctions.

<g
keepITcool