Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I hyperlink to a cell in existing workbook?

Goal: to go to another sheet in the workbook that I am currently in, with a
hyperlink. Online directions are not working. When I link to spot in
current workbook, it goes out and puts up an "exploring my computer"-like
window, showing the path to the current workbook that is open (which is the
correct path) and it stops there- it does not just hop to the worksheet
instead of going through all this other stuff. What is going wrong here?
I'm working in SP3 of Excel 2003
thanks for help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Choose Insert-Hyperlink option
Click on 'Place in this document' in the dialog box
Select the sheet you want to go to in the TREE shown in the bottom pane or
choose the Name you might have defined earlier
Enter the cell you want to go to in the 'Type the cell reference', if required
Press Ok

This should work.

If it does not work then post your sample file at wikisend and paste the
link here.

"Patricia Lynch" wrote:

Goal: to go to another sheet in the workbook that I am currently in, with a
hyperlink. Online directions are not working. When I link to spot in
current workbook, it goes out and puts up an "exploring my computer"-like
window, showing the path to the current workbook that is open (which is the
correct path) and it stops there- it does not just hop to the worksheet
instead of going through all this other stuff. What is going wrong here?
I'm working in SP3 of Excel 2003
thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please explain the steps you perform for hyper linking.
Usually to hyperlink you should do as follows:
Specify the sheet name
1- right click on the home cell and choose Hyperlink
2- If it inside same workbook, select it in left pane
3- select sheet name and Be sure to choose the destination cell in upper
middle of windows
Did you follow these steps?
-
R. Khoshravan
Please click "Yes" if it is helpful.

"Patricia Lynch" wrote:

Goal: to go to another sheet in the workbook that I am currently in, with a
hyperlink. Online directions are not working. When I link to spot in
current workbook, it goes out and puts up an "exploring my computer"-like
window, showing the path to the current workbook that is open (which is the
correct path) and it stops there- it does not just hop to the worksheet
instead of going through all this other stuff. What is going wrong here?
I'm working in SP3 of Excel 2003
thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the function form:

=HYPERLINK("file:///c:\Temp\second.xls")

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200830

"Patricia Lynch" wrote:

Goal: to go to another sheet in the workbook that I am currently in, with a
hyperlink. Online directions are not working. When I link to spot in
current workbook, it goes out and puts up an "exploring my computer"-like
window, showing the path to the current workbook that is open (which is the
correct path) and it stops there- it does not just hop to the worksheet
instead of going through all this other stuff. What is going wrong here?
I'm working in SP3 of Excel 2003
thanks for help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to add to Gary's Student's response:

=HYPERLINK("file:////c:/my documents/excel/book2.xls#sheet1!a1","click me")

(To get to a specific cell in a specific worksheet.)

"Patricia Lynch" wrote:

Goal: to go to another sheet in the workbook that I am currently in, with a
hyperlink. Online directions are not working. When I link to spot in
current workbook, it goes out and puts up an "exploring my computer"-like
window, showing the path to the current workbook that is open (which is the
correct path) and it stops there- it does not just hop to the worksheet
instead of going through all this other stuff. What is going wrong here?
I'm working in SP3 of Excel 2003
thanks for help

--

Dave Peterson