Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Protect or Lock Column

In Microsoft Access I have locked or disabled controls or columns to prevent
the user from changing the data displayed in the column.
Is it possible to lock, protect or disable a column in Excel?
I don't want the user to be able to enter data in column A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,
By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you
want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the
go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want,
now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited.

If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then
go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells
you want to lock and go to format cells and check locked, the go to tools,
protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now the cells
that you locked can not be edited
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 2003

"Tom LeBold" <Tom wrote in message
In Microsoft Access I have locked or disabled controls or columns to
prevent
the user from changing the data displayed in the column.
Is it possible to lock, protect or disable a column in Excel?
I don't want the user to be able to enter data in column A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are two ways:

1) Programattically (VBA)
2) Point and Click on the spreadsheet

To do this programattically, try using the AllowEditRanges property of the
Protection Object. There is a nice example in Excels Help.

To do this while looking at your spreadsheet (point and click):
1) Lock only column A's cells
2) Select Tools--Protection--Protect Sheet

hth,
John