Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Slow Respones opening non-web applications (i.e.Word)

I purchased a new Inspirion 1150 a month ago. My daughter
has it at college and called to tell me that the response
time is terrible just trying to open Word. "My Computer"
is very slow to just find the files on the harddrive
(flashlight icon is up for a long time.) Also, when it
opens applications it is slow to "paint" some of the new
windows. (i.e. "pieces of other windows are still
displayed as the newactive window is being "painted").

I ran SpyBot to clean up any SpyWare. I ran the Dell
diagnotics for "System Locks Up" and got errors for both
the Read Test and Verify test. I also ran Memory test and
it seemed to be OK.

Below are the two errors

1) Running Symtom Tree - "System Locks Up Test" - Read
Test

Error Code 0F00:0244 MSGc Block 18047313 Uncorrectable
Data Error or
Media is Write Protected
IDE Disk S/N = 3KW3ZHNR - Read Test Results Fail

2) Running Symtom Tree - "System Locks Up Test" - Verify
Test

Error Code 0F00:1A44 MSGc Block 18047313 Uncorrectable
Data Error or
Media is Write Protected
IDE Disk S/N = 3KW3ZHNR - Read Test Results Fail

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hikemike,

I purchased a new Inspirion 1150 a month ago

Perhaps your first port of call should be Dell or, failing that, a Windows
NG.

---
Regards,
Norman

"hikemike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Norman,

I have started the balling rolling wiht Dell. Just
covering all bases.

Thanks.
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you have Norton AntiVirus install. It has an option to examine office
files. Perhpas this is a contributor to the problem although your tests
(which I am not familiar with) may indicate a bad drive (best discussed with
DELL).

Tom Ogilvy

"hikemike" wrote in message
[...]

slow opening any file dawall33 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 October 23rd 08 04:30 PM
Slow Opening Wquinn New Users to Excel 0 March 16th 07 07:59 PM
Slow opening Philippe B. Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 November 3rd 06 04:18 PM
Error message while clsoing excel and word applications. mathavan Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 3rd 05 05:00 AM
Opening spreadsheet & word very slow others ok Nokose Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 July 18th 05 03:24 PM