Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Missing References

For my sins I have to open other users workbooks.

Most are okay but with some I get compile errors because of missing
references in VBA. These are caused because I don't have the same (add in)
libraries as the users - this is a cost issue (Reuters and Bloomberg).

Opening the files at the users machines is, I regret to say, not an option.
I'm stuck with my PC and not all the correct libraries.

Does anyone know of a way to suppress these compile errors?
I've turned off events, calculation, display alerts, and even the garden tap.

Love
Dick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can disable macros by holding down the shift key when you open the
workbook. Whether this will suppress the prompt or not, I can't say, but is
something to try. Another thing to try is to open Excel in safe mode

excel.exe /s

Tom Ogilvy

"Dick Scratcher" wrote in message
For my sins I have to open other users workbooks.

Most are okay but with some I get compile errors because of missing
references in VBA. These are caused because I don't have the same (add in)
libraries as the users - this is a cost issue (Reuters and Bloomberg).

Opening the files at the users machines is, I regret to say, not an

option.
I'm stuck with my PC and not all the correct libraries.

Does anyone know of a way to suppress these compile errors?
I've turned off events, calculation, display alerts, and even the garden

tap.

Love
Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Tom.

A bit more info: I've got loads of files to review so I was trying to
automate the process. I really need to find a VBA solution because it's only
the odd file that this related to.

Dick

"Dick Scratcher" wrote:

For my sins I have to open other users workbooks.

Most are okay but with some I get compile errors because of missing
references in VBA. These are caused because I don't have the same (add in)
libraries as the users - this is a cost issue (Reuters and Bloomberg).

Opening the files at the users machines is, I regret to say, not an option.
I'm stuck with my PC and not all the correct libraries.

Does anyone know of a way to suppress these compile errors?
I've turned off events, calculation, display alerts, and even the garden tap.

Love
Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can try

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.EnableEvents = False
' open the file

I don't know if this will suppress that particular message or not, but it is
the only thing I can think of to try.

"Dick Scratcher" wrote:

For my sins I have to open other users workbooks.

Most are okay but with some I get compile errors because of missing
references in VBA. These are caused because I don't have the same (add

in)
libraries as the users - this is a cost issue (Reuters and Bloomberg).

Opening the files at the users machines is, I regret to say, not an

option.
I'm stuck with my PC and not all the correct libraries.

Does anyone know of a way to suppress these compile errors?
I've turned off events, calculation, display alerts, and even the garden

tap.

Love
Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Tom,

I've already done all that.

Before I posted my question I explored Google, I explored books, I even
looked in the Excel "Help" file.

I think you might be telling me what I already know - I'm UTCWAP.

Thank you,
Dick