Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Files to distribute with Excel 11.0?

Hi Wardo,

If you mean you need to run the Excel VBA application that you wrote on
the server, you need a full installation of Excel. Installing Excel will
also install the VBA support required to run the VBA application. You don't
need to install any other Office applications.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

"Wardo" wrote in message
I have an an application that automates DTS packages which transform excel
files generated from an AS/400 (ugly, I know). Recently, something has
changed and certain files are coming down with blank first records and the
DTS package fails sometimes, but other times will process the file. It is
clear that the issue is in the excel file, but my customer cannot resolve

the
problem. I have coded a workaround using the Excel.application object

which
eliminates the offending records and everything works fine.

My question is: what files do I need to distribute with my application to
support this? The system this runs on is owned by an MCP and is basically

SQL 2K box on Server 2003 (standard) with no other applications. The
customer owns plenty of licenses, I just don't want to have to install
Office 2003 to make this work, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pardon me for not finding this information elsewhere, my lack of sleep has
made me slower than usual today.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Wardo,

Yes, you still need a full installation of Excel on the server. There's
no such thing as a run-time version of Excel, so if you need to automate
Excel you have to have it installed. There are 3rd party ActiveX controls
that provide many of the same features of Excel. If you used one of these
rather than Excel itself you wouldn't need to install anything other than
your VB app. The control I recommend is FarPoint's Spread control:

http://www.fpoint.com/products/spread/spread.aspx

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals
http://www.appspro.com/

"Wardo" wrote in message
Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply. I am actually creating an *.Exe in VB,
declaring an Excel.Application object and querying the first record of a
workbook. If it is corrupted, I am deleting it and saving the file. The
code is basically designed to automate DTS packages for an ETL application
and based on variables/events from a dll, will fire the appropriate code

for
particular packages. The Excel stuff simply cleans the file to be used by
the package (it's 5 lines of code). Do I still need Excel installed on

the
server? The information on redistributing components for Excel objects
(11.0) is not abundantly clear, I have looked elsewhere, but based on the
fact that the reference for the Excel 11.0 library is "Excel.exe", I

figure
it would most likely need to be installed, which is undesirable since the
server is supposed to be a dedicated SQL box for a data warehouse.

Thanks again,

Wardo