Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBE dark red highlight

Excel 2002, WinXP
Within the VBE, within a module, there is a vertical bar at the left side of
the module area. If I click in that bar to the left of a line of code, I
get a dark red dot in that bar and that line of code is highlighted the same
dark red.
What is this?
What is its purpose?
Does it effect the operation of the code? If so, how?
Thanks for your help. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Otto,

You are setting a breakpoint in the code.

From help::

Set and Clear a Breakpoint

You set a breakpoint to suspend execution at a specific statement in a
procedure; for example, where you suspect problems may exist. You clear
breakpoints when you no longer need them to stop execution.

To set a breakpoint

Position the insertion point anywhere in a line of the procedure where you
want execution to halt.

On the Debug menu, click Toggle Breakpoint (F9), click next to the statement
in the Margin Indicator Bar (if visible), or use the toolbar shortcut: .
The breakpoint is added and the line is set to the breakpoint color defined
on the Editor Format tab in the Options dialog box.

If you set a breakpoint on a line that contains several statements separated
by colons (:), the break always occurs at the first statement on the line.

To clear a breakpoint

Position the insertion point anywhere on a line of the procedure containing
the breakpoint.

From the Debug menu, choose Toggle Breakpoint (F9), or click next to the
statement in the Margin Indicator Bar (if visible.)

The breakpoint is cleared and highlighting is removed.
To clear all breakpoints in the application

From the Debug menu, choose Clear All Breakpoints (CTRL+SHIFT+F9).
Note Breakpoints set in code are not saved when you save your code

---
Regards,
Norman

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
Excel 2002, WinXP
Within the VBE, within a module, there is a vertical bar at the left side

of
the module area. If I click in that bar to the left of a line of code, I
get a dark red dot in that bar and that line of code is highlighted the

same
dark red.
What is this?
What is its purpose?
Does it effect the operation of the code? If so, how?
Thanks for your help. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's breakpoint.

You can also set it by selecting a line of code and hitting
Debug|Toggle Breakpoint (or just hitting F9).

It's useful when you know the first portion of code works correctly, but you're
trying to debug a later portion.

Your code will run until it gets to this breakpoint and then pause execution--so
you can step through it or examine variables--or whatever you want.

Then you can hit F8 to start stepping and then Run (on the menubar or F5) to
continue.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Norman, Dave
That's a nice feature. I'm glad I bumped into it and I thank you for
explaining it to me. Otto