Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Changing characters

these safe way to do it, would be to change your writing routine

instead of hardcoding the "." you'll need to use a variable.
all nicely provided by Excel..

?application.DecimalSeparator
,
?application.International(xlListSeparator)
;

very consistent.. isnt it? don't worry there's a long way for the
decimal too :)
?application.International(DecimalSeparator)
,

when you want to use replace..
change "." to chr$(11)
change "," to "."
change chr$(11) to ","

not very likely the chr(11) pops up anywhere else in your file...

if your're coding for xl97+ use application.substitute iso replace
as the later was introduced with xl2000

keepITcool

"?B?YmlnIHQ=?=" wrote:

Hi,

My application writes out a text file for use in another software
application which only reads numbers in an English format eg 12,345.67

But I have clients who use a European format eg 12.345,67

So I need to know if there is a funtion I can use to switch all points
(".") to commas (",") and vice-versa, preferably in one easy step.

I know about the Replace function, but AFAIK this only replaces one
substring with another - I need to do two at the same time. Any ideas?

TIA
big t