Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
keepITcool keepITcool is offline

Default Changing characters

these safe way to do it, would be to change your writing routine

instead of hardcoding the "." you'll need to use a variable.
all nicely provided by Excel..

?application.DecimalSeparator
,
?application.International(xlListSeparator)
;

very consistent.. isnt it? don't worry there's a long way for the
decimal too :)
?application.International(DecimalSeparator)
,

when you want to use replace..
change "." to chr$(11)
change "," to "."
change chr$(11) to ","

not very likely the chr(11) pops up anywhere else in your file...

if your're coding for xl97+ use application.substitute iso replace
as the later was introduced with xl2000

keepITcool

"?B?YmlnIHQ=?=" wrote:

Hi,

My application writes out a text file for use in another software
application which only reads numbers in an English format eg 12,345.67

But I have clients who use a European format eg 12.345,67

So I need to know if there is a funtion I can use to switch all points
(".") to commas (",") and vice-versa, preferably in one easy step.

I know about the Replace function, but AFAIK this only replaces one
substring with another - I need to do two at the same time. Any ideas?

TIA
big t