Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macros that write data to a new spreadsheet?

Is there a keystrokes type of macro format? What I mean is that it would be
nice to build in Excel tips into a macro since I carry around my Excel.xlb
and personal.xls (and book.xlt). If there was a "write text to spreadsheet"
type of macro code, I could write tips in. Then I could create a menu
called XLtips or something and have all those tips macros accessible from
there that would write to an empty spreadsheet from which I could simply
copy/paste the code from.

This is what comes to mind as a nifty, if unorthodox solution, simply
because all the macros and buttons are built-in.

Is this possible? (Or perhaps someone has a better, but also easily
portable solution already but that doesn't require an add-in?) If it is
possible, though, are there any examples of coding around anywhere?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro code to write text to a spreadsheet?

Is there a way to have a macro type out text in a new spreadsheet?

I've done this in Word but not sure how to do it in Excel. The Word
macro creates a table and populates the cells with data that I often
need. The macro gets saved with the normal.dot so it saves me a ton
of grief since I don't have to cart around the info in a separate
template yet I have the data handy whenever I need it.

I was hoping for something similar in Excel to access formulas I use a
lot so I don't have to cart templates around for that, too. I'd then
be able to create a toolbar for excel tips, say, and have those
most-used formulas accessible by a couple of clicks on that toolbar.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

StarGateFan,

I think you can put your macros in personal.xls (or any open workbook), then
run them with keyboard shortcuts or whatever.

Sub PutMyFormula1()
ActiveCell.Formula = "=SUM(A1:A10)"

Earl Kiosterud

"StargateFan" wrote in message
Is there a way to have a macro type out text in a new spreadsheet?

I've done this in Word but not sure how to do it in Excel. The Word
macro creates a table and populates the cells with data that I often
need. The macro gets saved with the normal.dot so it saves me a ton
of grief since I don't have to cart around the info in a separate
template yet I have the data handy whenever I need it.

I was hoping for something similar in Excel to access formulas I use a
lot so I don't have to cart templates around for that, too. I'd then
be able to create a toolbar for excel tips, say, and have those
most-used formulas accessible by a couple of clicks on that toolbar.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in message
StarGateFan,

I think you can put your macros in personal.xls (or any open workbook),

then
run them with keyboard shortcuts or whatever.

Sub PutMyFormula1()
ActiveCell.Formula = "=SUM(A1:A10)"
End Sub

<lol Yes, sorry; I didn't explain well enough I see. I've been saving
macros to my PERSONAL.XLS for some time now thanks to learning how in this
ng! <g

I'm not sure the macro coding will work for what I want to do. What I was
hoping for was the macro coding to send text to a new sheet in Excel but
that I can access at any time so it would probably also have to be written
to the PERSONAL.XLS. (It's because I can't remember the jargon for that so
I had to explain it in a roundabout way.) I'll try again. i.e., how could
I get a macro in the PERSONAL.XLS to send this text below between quotes to
a new Excel sheet:

"The horse was in the field eating grass."

The example is silly, I know, but it's just an example <g. It's because I
tried but just ended up with a messed up PERSONAL.XLS. Good thing I knew
enough to fix it, though.

Thanks!