Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Import Text File

I would like in plain english something the exact way to write a macro
to import a text file with the name of c:\Nada and have it parsed.

I know nothing about writing macros with excel and just want something
simple.

Thanks
jc lewis
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Turn on the macro recorder and then do

Data=Get External data = Import Text file and walk through the wizard.

Once the file is imported, turn off the macro recorder and you have your
code.

Assumes xl2000 or later

Tom Ogilvy

"jc lewis" wrote in message
om...
I would like in plain english something the exact way to write a macro
to import a text file with the name of c:\Nada and have it parsed.

I know nothing about writing macros with excel and just want something
simple.

Thanks
jc lewis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

jc,

If you have Excel 2002, you can use Data - Get External Data. It will step
you through the import wizard pretty much as usual, allowing you to select
delimiters, column formatting, etc. It reads into an existing worksheet --
you choose where. Then to read the file again, right click in the area of
the import and choose refresh. No code.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"jc lewis" wrote in message
om...
I would like in plain english something the exact way to write a macro
to import a text file with the name of c:\Nada and have it parsed.

I know nothing about writing macros with excel and just want something
simple.

Thanks
jc lewis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom:

You are right, of course, in noting that the file is opened as a new
workbook. I geneerally proceed to write code that cleans up the information
in the new workbook, then copies the cleaned-up data to my target workbook,
then closes the text file.

The "issues" I referred to earlier probably did involve ODBC. Usually when
I'm writing code, I don't have a lot of time to address things I'm not
familiar with, so what probably happened is that I was either confused or
ignorant when the ODBC references materialized, and therefore abandoned your
approach in favor of something else. If memory serves me correctly, since I
was importing from a text file whose size would vary from import to import,
I wasn't sure what "Refresh" meant or what it implied for subsequent
imports.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
That essentially records the same code in terms of parsing the file. The
difference is that file=Open opens the file as a new workbook. I

generally
interpret a request to import to imply to bring it into an existing
workbook. Not sure what problems would be associated with the import

method
that would not be encountered with File=Open (which records the OpenText
method). The import method does use ODBC, so perhaps there are some

issues,
but seems to me that would apply to very specialized cases.

Tom Ogilvy

"DFStoneJr" wrote in message
I routinely import print files into my workbooks so I can manipulate

their
data. I''ve run into occasional issues using Tom's method, so I do it
another way. I turn on the macro recorder, click n File - Open, filter

on
all files, locate the file, and parse it in the window that Excel

provides.
Sometimes it takes a trial or two for me to get it right, and I then

have
write code to delete all the rows I don't need, but this method works
reliably for me.

om...