Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Filesearch in VB6

Some time ago, in Win98 I used Application.Filesearch in VB6.

After a long time away, I'm now running XP and VB6 and I simply can't
work out what Project References or Project Components or
whatever-other-thing I had to do to allow me to use this.

I'm afraid the VB6 Help is not terribly good about this kind of
elementary stuff.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Colin Charman" wrote in message

Some time ago, in Win98 I used Application.Filesearch in VB6.

After a long time away, I'm now running XP and VB6 and I simply can't
work out what Project References or Project Components or
whatever-other-thing I had to do to allow me to use this.

Hi Colin,

The FileSearch object is part of the Microsoft Office 10.0 Object
Library and higher. Set a reference to this object library from your VB6
project and you should be able to use it.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Col Col is offline

Thanks Rob, that explains how to go about it (thru References). I had
tried adding Microsoft Office 9.0 Object Library - which is the one I
have listed - and it didnt help. At least I know I was on the right
track.

Only thing I can't understand is how I made it work before. Maybe I
somehow had installed the mso10 library and lost it when I re-installed
everything under XP.

As I only use my PC for home projects, I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade
from VB6/Office2000 if thats what I need to do.

I have found an alternative and very easy solution that seems to solve
the immediate problem - I only wanted to use Filesearch to filter files
returned as *.jpg or *.bmp. The solution was to add a filelistbox
control, which only needed one line of code to set the path to the
folder - the filter can be added at design time.

If anyone out there can tell me how/whether I can install Microsoft
Office 10.0 Object Library legally without buying an upgrade, I'll be
pleased to hear about it.

Col

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Col,

The Office 9.0 Object Library has the FileSearch object as well. I
specified 10.0 because I misunderstood XP in your message to mean Office XP
instead of Windows XP. Note that I've heard of the FileSearch object acting
flaky when used under Windows XP, so be sure and verify the results you're
getting.