Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Try Before You Buy Spreadsheet

I have been trying to develop a method to allow a potential buyer to tr
an Excel Spreadsheet before buying. I would like to give the buyer 1
trys after which they could not access the speadsheet (I have coding t
do that).

However, I then want to send them a small file that they load (o
whatever) into Excel and it eliminates, (deletes, voids, or what ever
the vba coding that did not permit further uses.

They can then use the Workbook Template without restriction.

The vba coding I'm using is as follows:

Sub Auto_Open()
MaxUses = 5

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value = Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value + 1

If Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value < MaxUses Then ThisWorkbook.Save

If Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value MaxUses Then

MsgBox "Please contact the author for an updated version"
vbOKOnly, "Whoa Partner"

ThisWorkbook.Close

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dic

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
to be honest: all kind of protection within VBA can easily be
circumvented. One of the easiest things: Your user disables macros for
your file. This way your code never runs at all :-)

So besided using Com Addins it is not possible to protect the coding of
a worksheet for a determined user. Also password protection does not
help, costs about 1 minute to crack this protection

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

I have been trying to develop a method to allow a potential buyer to
try an Excel Spreadsheet before buying. I would like to give the
buyer 10 trys after which they could not access the speadsheet (I
have coding to do that).

However, I then want to send them a small file that they load (or
whatever) into Excel and it eliminates, (deletes, voids, or what
ever) the vba coding that did not permit further uses.

They can then use the Workbook Template without restriction.

The vba coding I'm using is as follows:

Sub Auto_Open()
MaxUses = 5

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value = Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value + 1

If Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value < MaxUses Then ThisWorkbook.Save

If Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value MaxUses Then

MsgBox "Please contact the author for an updated version",
vbOKOnly, "Whoa Partner"

ThisWorkbook.Close

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dick

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is an idea. Disable macros and open it as much as you want.

Also, writing the count to a sheet isn't going to be much of a deterent
either.

Trying to use Excel's built in capabilities for protection are pretty much
fruitless.

Tom Ogilvy

I have been trying to develop a method to allow a potential buyer to try