Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Try Before You Buy Spreadsheet

Here is an idea. Disable macros and open it as much as you want.

Also, writing the count to a sheet isn't going to be much of a deterent
either.

Trying to use Excel's built in capabilities for protection are pretty much
fruitless.

Tom Ogilvy

"Dick " wrote in message
I have been trying to develop a method to allow a potential buyer to try
an Excel Spreadsheet before buying. I would like to give the buyer 10
trys after which they could not access the speadsheet (I have coding to
do that).

However, I then want to send them a small file that they load (or
whatever) into Excel and it eliminates, (deletes, voids, or what ever)
the vba coding that did not permit further uses.

They can then use the Workbook Template without restriction.

The vba coding I'm using is as follows:

Sub Auto_Open()
MaxUses = 5

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value = Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value + 1

If Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value < MaxUses Then ThisWorkbook.Save

If Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value MaxUses Then

MsgBox "Please contact the author for an updated version",
vbOKOnly, "Whoa Partner"

ThisWorkbook.Close

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dick