Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel VBA problem

Being new to Excel and only just getting around formula's, I would hav
no idea about how to write a simple VBA program. I was told the bes
place to go would be this excellent forum (Hint!!!!)...My problem i
this..

I have a DVD database with three worksheets. First one is calle
Movies, 2nd Customer Info and third customers.

Basically in Movies, I have name of movie and Ratings etc with cus
name. For instance Rating is in G9:G64), Customer name in J9:J64..No
what I want to do is if a customer tries to rent a movie and it is R1
or R15 depending on Age..The vba would check sheet3/customers for thei
age and date of birth and if that DOB is under 18 a message woul
display that person is under age and not allowed to rent movi
parse...I have tried Data Validation but that only brings up messag
when something is inputted into a cell, for instance I tried to creat
a cell which linked to DOB and if it brought back under 18 it woul
show message but Data validation never worked...Hope this message i
not too long...:(

Mar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark it sounds like you could accomplish this via
a vlookup to bring the age of the customer back to the
movies sheet, and the use an if(age<18,"warning","ok to
rent") or something like that.

The vlookup lets you find an entry in the left hand column
of a database and get an entry on that row.

John

Being new to Excel and only just getting around

formula's, I would have
no idea about how to write a simple VBA program. I was

told the best
place to go would be this excellent forum (Hint!!!!)...My

problem is
this..

I have a DVD database with three worksheets. First one

is called
Movies, 2nd Customer Info and third customers.

Basically in Movies, I have name of movie and Ratings etc

with cust
name. For instance Rating is in G9:G64), Customer name in

J9:J64..Now
what I want to do is if a customer tries to rent a movie

and it is R18
or R15 depending on Age..The vba would check

sheet3/customers for their
age and date of birth and if that DOB is under 18 a

message would
display that person is under age and not allowed to rent

movie
parse...I have tried Data Validation but that only brings

up message
when something is inputted into a cell, for instance I

tried to create
a cell which linked to DOB and if it brought back under

18 it would
show message but Data validation never worked...Hope this

message is
not too long...:(

Mark

---

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need a VLOOKUP into the movies database to get the movies details and
another into Customer to get DoB, and use a simple IF to check if okay. You
could highlight discrepancies with Data Validation of conditional
formatting.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mark1ace1 " wrote in message
Being new to Excel and only just getting around formula's, I would have
no idea about how to write a simple VBA program. I was told the best
place to go would be this excellent forum (Hint!!!!)...My problem is
this..

I have a DVD database with three worksheets. First one is called
Movies, 2nd Customer Info and third customers.

Basically in Movies, I have name of movie and Ratings etc with cust
name. For instance Rating is in G9:G64), Customer name in J9:J64..Now
what I want to do is if a customer tries to rent a movie and it is R18
or R15 depending on Age..The vba would check sheet3/customers for their
age and date of birth and if that DOB is under 18 a message would
display that person is under age and not allowed to rent movie
parse...I have tried Data Validation but that only brings up message
when something is inputted into a cell, for instance I tried to create
a cell which linked to DOB and if it brought back under 18 it would
show message but Data validation never worked...Hope this message is
not too long...:(

Mark

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried that, but the age returns 12/01/00, and not sure how to add th
IF statement...:( I tried to do a VBA but was not sure how to list on
column...doing my head in ...
Mar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

Let's assume that the customer data is structured name in column A, DoB in
column B, then the date tests are

=IF(AND(G9="R18",DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-18,MONTH(TODAY()),DAY(TODAY()))<VLOOKUP(
J9,'Customer'!A1:B100,2,FALSE),"Ok","Reject")

and

=IF(AND(G9="R15",DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-15,MONTH(TODAY()),DAY(TODAY()))<VLOOKUP(
J9,'Customer'!A1:B100,2,FALSE),"Ok","Reject")

Best way would be to have coilumns with intermeditae resluts and then test
these on the master sheet.

If you want to send me the workbook, I'll take a look for you.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mark1ace1 " wrote in message
I tried that, but the age returns 12/01/00, and not sure how to add the
IF statement...:( I tried to do a VBA but was not sure how to list one
column...doing my head in ...
Mark

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would love to email you, so that you can take a look..I was going t
try a message box, but ain't great with VB :(

Mar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tried that formula no go...Now could it be as my dates are in Englis
date system and not the American one?

Mar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nope tried changing to American format and still not working :