Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Importing data

Hi HJ,

Be very careful when you open CSV (Comma Seperated Value) files in Excel.
Excel has a mind of its own and presumes certain things. It will remove any
leading zeros, among other things, and as you mentioned financial stuff I
thought I would warn you.
If you simply Change the .CSV extention to .TXT (GLedger.csv = GLedger.txt)
and open that .txt file in Excel you have a chance to manipulate the import
and choose that all columns should be imported as text, which will preserve
your leading zeros.

If your not sure please feel free to contact me at

All the best,

Steve Wilson.

"HJ" wrote in message
Bear with me here, I am not a technical person, I have a finance

background so this is all new to me!

My company will be going through a JDEdwards ERP implementation and I have

been asked if it is possible to import data from JDE to Excel (in order to
create pivot tables for data analysis). My first query would be on the
general ledger. It sounds like I would be able to do some type of download
or import but like I mentioned, this is all way over my head.

I was wondering is anyone could give me some general background on how

this works and if you had any tips on how I could further educate myself on
the subject and technical lingo.

Thanks much for your help.

HJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Steve, Dick and Bernie for the helpful tips! I obviously have a lot to learn and I greatly appreciate your insight. I'm looking forward to getting this to work, it will be an adventure for me

Thanks again to all who take the time to answer questions here, this forum is awesome

Regards
HJ