Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problems opening Access database from Excel VBA

I try to open an Access database from Excel using the following code:

Sub OpenDatabase()

strdb = "c:\demo.mdb"
Set appAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application")
appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase strdb
appAccess.DoCmd.OpenForm "frmsysteminformation"
Set appAccess = Nothing

End Sub

This shows the form OK, but not the Access window. When I close the form it
disappears, but leaves theAccess application running in Background.

How can I open a databae in the database window and gain access, not only to
the form, but to the full Access, that is Databasewindow and all?

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need to set the visible property to true
appAccess.visible = true
before you set it to nothing.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jan,

Change your code to:

Sub OpenDatabase()

strdb = "c:\demo.mdb"
Set appAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application")
appAccess.Visible=True
appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase strdb
appAccess.DoCmd.OpenForm "frmsysteminformation"
Set appAccess = Nothing

End Sub

Sub OpenDatabase()

strdb = "c:\demo.mdb"
Set appAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application")
appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase strdb
appAccess.DoCmd.OpenForm "frmsysteminformation"
Set appAccess = Nothing

End Sub

This shows the form OK, but not the Access window. When I close the form it
disappears, but leaves theAccess application running in Background.

How can I open a databae in the database window and gain access, not only to
the form, but to the full Access, that is Databasewindow and all?

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you both. That did the trick :-). An couple off additional question:
What if I do not want to open a form, but just want to display the
database window.
If i remove the OpenForm line, Access is started all right, but nothing is
shown.

And can I test if the database is already open before opening it?

Jan