Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Database Problems

Hi,

I'm creating an excel workbook, that has information about stats from my
football team. One sheet has ALL the information (stats), and another sheet
is my overview sheet with only pertinent information that we want to see. On
the second sheet (overview sheet), the information is broken up into player
positions (ie. Quaterback stats, then running back stats, etc). On sheet 1
(with all the data), it is in alphebetical order and we want to keep it like
that. The problem I am having is that if I add or delete a player on Sheet 1,
it screws up my overview sheet, because now I have running backs in the
quarterback section, and so on throughout the entire sheet.

Is there a way to set up my overview sheet so that when I add or delete a
player in sheet 1, the categories (ie. Quaterback stats) on sheet 2 remain in
tact, without a shifting of records? Also, is there a way so that when I add
a player in Sheet 1, it will automatically categorize that player into their
respective category in sheet 2?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to link the two sheets by their position on the field rather then
position on the worksheet. So for the quarterbacks put QB or Running Backs
RB, and so on. Then you can easily sort by position on the 1st sheet and when
you are gathering stats on the second sheet you can refer to the position
directly like Sumif(Range,"QB",Sum_Range). Things like Sumif, Vlookup,
Countif, etc would all work well taking information from sheet one using the
identifier like QB or RB.

"Terrill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Will this still work if I want to set it up like this:

Sheet 1:
Name Age Position Ht Wt. 40yd
Chris 23 QB 6'2 182 4.3
Dave 21 RB 6'2 192 4.0
Jason 24 QB 6'3 201 4.1
Jason 27 DB 6'0 198 4.2
Jeff 26 FB 5'9 188 4.4
Mat 23 RB 5'10 187 4.2
Stan 25 DB 6'0 210 4.3

Sheet 2:
Quaterbacks:
Chris 23 QB 6'2
Jason 24 QB 6'3

Running Backs:
Dave 21 RB 6'2
Jeff 26 FB 5'9
Mat 23 RB 5'10

Defensive Backs:
Jason 27 DB 6'0
Stan 25 DB 6'0

The first sheet is the main sheet where I will have all the information. The
second sheet will be a summary page with only the data we want to show. If we
want to categorize it as shown, how would we go about doing this? What would
be the best way to have this happen?