Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Navigating with keyboard after using offset on merged cells

Dear Gurus,

Excel 2000, 2002.

In a worksheet, highlight A1:C1, click on the merge cells button.
In the immediate pane of the VBE, enter
"Activecell.Offset(10,0).Select".

The unexpected? Press the right arrow key, and the cursor moves to
D1, not B11.

I've got a procedure attached to a shortcut key to speed up navigating
around a spreadsheet (jumping a specified number of rows/columns
according to the offset). But the cursor seems to remember the merged
cell (eg if you execute the offset command several times, you may end
up several screens down, but the moment you hit the left or right
arrow key you're back to where you started).

I few things to note - the workbooks I'm looking at aren't mine, so
the obvious solution of "don't use merged cells" isn't an option.
Secondly, it doesn't always appear to be consistent - in the example
above, up and down keys work as expected but left and right don't.
Also appears that how you enter the cell has a bearing - if the cursor
is in D1, then you press left arrow, then run the offset, it displays
the behaviour as above, but if you're in (say) B10 and hit
Ctrl-UpArrow, then perform the offset, the cursor moves as expected
when the arrow keys are used.

Has anyone come across this behaviour before? And (more importantly)
a way to get around it. Is this another one of those "features" that
they don't tell us about?

Kind regards,

Clayton.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just as a quick update:

Cells(Activecell.Row + 10, Activecell.Column).Select

rather than

Activecell.Offset(10, 0).select

Doesn't work either. Any thoughts? Really driving me nuts this one...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I was in two minds about re-posting this, but after reading point 22 of Chip's FAQ, I figured "Why not?"

I can see a few possibilities
a) No-one read it
b) People read it, but couldn't understand what I was talking about
c) People read it, understood it, but couldn't get it to work and hence no reply; o
d) People read it, understood it, and found a solution, but got trapped under a large peice of furniture and couldn't respond

If it's (b), please let me know which bits are not making sense, and I'll try and clarify

Any theories on how to get this working would be appreciated

Regards

Clayton.