Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to find out country-dependent Format Codes

Hi

I fill cells with date-values via OLE from non office/VB application.

If I submit a number and set the NumberFormat of the cell to 'mm/dd/yyyy', it is correctly interpreted...for an english installation. Problem: Switching to a german installation for example will not work. This is because the Format Codes are not understood by Excel. In Germany it is required to format the year as 'JJJJ' and not 'yyyy'. I want to build an international application, which automatically chooses the right characters

Could anyone tell me, how I can detect the language/country/locale dependent valid format codes for year, day etc. ? Is it an excel property, or do I have to look in the registry

Please help

Dirk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Doerk,

Could anyone tell me, how I can detect the language/country/locale

dependent valid format codes for year, day etc. ? Is it an excel property,
or do I have to look in the registry?

look at this thread, esp. the posting from Dianne:

http://www.google.at/groups?hl=de&lr....phx.gbl#link3

regards

arno

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Application.International seems to be what I need

Thanks a lot, arno!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you are using the Numberformat, then I believe using the English
formatting characters in VBA should properly format the cell.

Stephen Bullen states this in his chapter on International Issues in his
Book Excel VBA 2000 programmers reference.

"This translation also applies to number formats. Whenever we set a number
format within VBA, we can give Excel a format string which uses US
characters (such as 'd' for day, 'm' for month and 'y' for year). When
applied ot the cell (or style or chart axis), or used in the format()
function, Excel translates these characters to the local versions. "

There are many international issues, but this doesn't appear to be one of
them.

Tom Ogilvy