Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Encoding

Hello

This may or may not be the correct newsgroup to post in for this, I have a question about the way Excel handles encoding. I have an ASP.NET application that exports to Excel by exporting an HTML table with an ".xls" extension. Excel reads the table without a problem, but I am having trouble with the encoding of the text in the table. Some of the tables include Hebrew and are sent as Unicode. When I export these tables sometimes they open correctly in Excel and sometimes the Hebrew is displayed as garbage. When the export works correctly, Excel is reading the XLS as Unicode UTF-8 (under Tools-Options-General-Web Options-Encoding) and when the export doesn't work Excel is reading it as Western European (Windows). When I manually change the encoding from Western European to UTF-8 (under "Reload this document as") for exports that don't work, it reloads it and correctly displays the Hebrew. My question is this: How do I manually tell Excel to open a document using UTF-8 encoding from within the document? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Please also note that I have opened exports that work and ones that don't in Notepad and both display the Hebrew correctly in the text editor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Based on my test, it seems that the encoding option will be available when
excel read a webpage.

And we can define a webpage's coding by using the charset in the http
header.
<head
</head

So you may try to add the the meta property to the file generated by the
asp.net application to see if the works for you.

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Have you tried my suggestion that indicates the charset in the header of
the html file?
If you still have any concern on this issue, please feel free to post here
and I will work on you with it.

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a similar problem with a csv file. After download a csv file when I try to open with excel 2000 some UTF-8 characters are showed incorrectly. Is there any configuracion in excel to support UTF-8 encoding ? Same question for ms projec
If I open the file with MS word characters are displayed correctly after select UTF-8 encoding

Regard

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/securit