Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default RefreshData Method in RTD Server

Hi,

I'm trying to build my own RTD Server for Excel using C++.
I downloaded the example available on msdn.com, and I'm trying to
modify the code to output something other than the current system
time.

I successfully modified the ConnectDate() method. However, I'm not
quite sure how the RefreshData() method works. How does the
RefreshData() method know what data I want to update? The list of
strings or topics from the RTD() function in Excel is passed into the
Strings parameter in ConnectData(), but how does RefreshData know what
the parameters are in order to create the output value to pass back to
Excel?

I think i probably lack an understanding of the RefreshData()
function.
Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kitty
=)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Which article did you see on MSDN? I found several that refer to this
subject - maybe one of these might provide some additional clues:

Building a Real-Time Data Server in Excel 2002 (Microsoft Excel 2002
Technical Articles)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...xlrtdbuild.asp

285339 - HOWTO: Create a RealTimeData Server for Excel

327215 - Create a RealTimeData Server for Excel 2002 or Later with Visual
C++

284878 - PRB: RTD Servers Used with Embedded Excel Workbooks May Be
Problematic

(Sorry, I have no experience with this topic, but can only throw out a few
quick suggestions. I'm using Excel 2000 SP-3.)
Bill

om...