Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need help

ok, well I have a question, that I don't even know if it is possible, but wanted to find out... so here goes

I work in the insurance company, and recently some of the processing requests we get have started coming in on excel. Well my staff of processors didn't like the way the request form looked, so we designed a similar form and want to use it in it's place. Is their anyway that I could copy the info from the list we receive and paste it in our newly formatted list in excel and have it disperse the information where it would go. (in other words I have the information and don't want to manually enter it in to the form, I want the form to automatically know where to put everything)

Note: I'm no computer expert, I just know enough to get bye.. guess you can see why m question is kind of confusing, but I hope someone may understand what I'm getting at and be able to lend any knowledge at all

Thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate it
Nick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Without more detail on the list that you get, its tricky.
First off though, if the list is simply a text file, try opening in Excel
and see if Excel's text import wizard can help you.

If this works. Close the list and do it again, but turn on the macro
recorder first. This will build some pretty basic code, but it may be enough
at least to get you started.

--
Patrick Molloy
Microsoft Excel MVP
"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nick,

You can do it. Depending on the amount of data, one per spreadsheet or many,
you could use references or VBA.

Some details on the start and finish layouts would help.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the list you copy from is in excel then it should be easy to copy or
addit to you workbook...

lets say you working book needs the data in sheet1

first you need to open your "list" workbook - and I'll assume it has just
the one sheet. also for simplicity I'll assume the table starts in A1

you code might look like this:

Sub fetchList()
DIM fn as string
dim wb as workbook
fn =applicatio.getopenfilename()
set wb = workbooks.open(fn)
wb.activesheet.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.copy
ThisWorkbook.worksheets("sheet1").Range("A1").past especial xlAll
Application.CutCopyMode=false
wb.close false
End Sub

This allows you to open a workbook and copy the sheet data ...hope it helps

--
Patrick Molloy
Microsoft Excel MVP
"Nick" wrote in message
Well i do understand the more detail part, but with it being insuranece
thats classified information, or else i would be more then willing to put
the lists out there for you to see, know what i'm saying... but thanks for
your help, Both the list i copy from and the list i need to put the
information in are Excel, But let me see what I can do...

Thanks for you help!!! :)
Nick