Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help - trying to make installation file

Okay. My Excel Addin works, and I need to make easy for others to use it.
I created a "zSetup" file (an .xls file with VBA code to run from the A
drive). This file does the following:
1. Creates two folders on the user's C drive (one holds Samples, one
holds read-only workbooks)
2. Copies the files (4 workbooks, 4 Sample workbooks, one Addin) to the
two folders just created
3. Installs the Addin
4. Puts two shortcuts on the desktop

Now, I want to make an install file to put on a website for download. I
don't know how to transfer my zSetup file from its VBA code format to such
an installation file. (I have found trial version of a program which will
allow me to create an install program, "digitalweb.com", but I don't know if
that's what I need. If it is, I think I may need a .bat or .exe file.

So far as my zSetup file (Excel VBA code), before I copied the files from
the A: drive; now, I don't know how to identify where the files are,
although I know they're on the website (i.e., "mywebsite.com/file1.xls").

Can anyone give me some direction? I am admittedly a novice, and I truly
appreciate any assistance anyone can provide. Even a web link to get me
going would be great!

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

zSplash,

I use the Inno Setup Compiler by Jordan Russell to create a setup.exe file for
easy distribution of my pretty extensive Excel/VBA program. The latest version
is 4.0.9 and is available at no charge at www.innosetup.com. It works like a
charm. For distribution on diskettes I use in addition the AutoRun Wizard for
making them self-loading. The latest version is 1.03 and is available for very
low cost at www.rjlsoftware.com/?autorun

-- Dennis Eisen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the direction, Dennis. I'll download innosetup. Since I first
posted, I wrote a bat file that copies files and makes directories, but I
think I have to use an Excel file to do a little more stuff (like, install
addins, toolbars). Does innosetup.com allow me to make a setup file I can
put on-line?

Thanks for any help.

st.

"DennisE" wrote in message
zSplash,

I use the Inno Setup Compiler by Jordan Russell to create a setup.exe file

for
easy distribution of my pretty extensive Excel/VBA program. The latest

version
is 4.0.9 and is available at no charge at www.innosetup.com. It works like

charm. For distribution on diskettes I use in addition the AutoRun Wizard

for
making them self-loading. The latest version is 1.03 and is available for

very
low cost at www.rjlsoftware.com/?autorun

-- Dennis Eisen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

st,

I don't know whether they have a version that will do that or not. Give them a
call and find out. By the way, I found them
at the time by simply by doing a Google search; try doing it as well using
whatever keywords you think are applicable. Good Luck.

-- Dennis Eisen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Another way to install an add-in as follows:
Zip the whole directory containing the add-in. To do this you will have to
make a special directory for your
particular add-in.
Download the freeware program FreeExtractor.
This will make an exe file from the zip file, plus it can contain files that
will run after unzipping.
In your case this file will be an Excel workbook with code that will run on
opening that will install the add-in.
It is all very simple and works fine.
The person getting the install file doesn't need anything else than the
install file, so he/she doesn't need FreeExtractor.

RBS